Who needs spindle covers?

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing Equipment' started by Eric502, Apr 9, 2019.

?

Do you keep the spindle covers on your mowers?

1. Yes- they add 10 HP!!

2. No-throw them things away!

Results are only viewable after voting.
  1. Eric502

Eric502 LawnSite Senior Member
    Male, from Kentucky

Spindle covers.... some are plastic, so metal. I guess they serve as safety precaution. Mine collect leafs and junk. Do you run them or take them off?

2. alville

alville LawnSite Member

I keep em on

3. Mow-Daddy.com

Mow-Daddy.com LawnSite Fanatic

I leave them on. They are steel and take only a moment to blow them out.
    Not worth taking off if someone gets hurt.
    I gain 15 hp. ;)

Eric502 likes this.
  4. Mowing monkey.

Mowing monkey. LawnSite Senior Member

Do you mean ones on the top or bottom of the deck? The ones on the bottom I leave. The guards on the top I take off. Those only hold trash around the belts.

weeze likes this.
  5. OP
    OP
    Eric502

Male, from Kentucky

Yes the covers on top of the deck, usually on the left and right side.

6. Hawkshot99

Hawkshot99 LawnSite Bronze Member

The amount of stuff they collect can be blown out real quick when swapping blades so why open up the danger of them exposed?

7. Ridin' Green

Ridin' Green LawnSite Fanatic
    Male, from Michigan

I left mine on for years, but even though they weren't all that hard to clean out on the JD's, stuff can get caught in and under them and damage belts by dragging the belt etc. They are now sitting on a shelf until the day I get rid of this mower. They have been off for about 3 years now, and I've never had a single issue without them. On my machine, the two outer spindles are partially covered by the black plastic tanks on either side anyway, so safety is a non issue for me.

Derwood likes this.
  8. OP
    OP
    Eric502

Male, from Kentucky

I cannot blow crap out of mine without removing it, on the Turf Tiger 2 that is. The cover to my right collects and gets packed up with crap. And regardless of me blowing the mower off, it continues to get lodged in there.

9. ArTurf

ArTurf LawnSite Fanatic
    Male, from Ark

1st thing I do when I get a new mower is take them off. I realize the mfgs. must put them on for liability reasons but to me they are simply a debris collector. In my mind things are going to last longer when they're not sitting in dirt/grit grinding away

10. T Total Lawncare

T Total Lawncare LawnSite Bronze Member
    Male, from The deep south

Mine have stayed on my current machine. They are no problem to blow out. I tend to stay on top of it by blowing off my machine after every account so there really is not that much accumulation. I also blow off the engine and anything under the seat around hydros. I’m OCD like that I guess as I can’t stand anything accumulating on my mower..

Ridin' Green likes this.