1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Catch up on the conversation with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns in the Franchising forum plus sign up to receive a FREE eBook on how to grow your landscape business.

Dismiss Notice

who pays for the fungicide?

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by bobbygedd, Jul 6, 2001.

1. bobbygedd

bobbygedd LawnSite Fanatic
    from NJ

in past seasons i have subbed out the fert programs, this year im licensed and do it myself. the programs i offer consist of pre-em +fert, fert, weed +fert, grub, fert, and lime. ive had two customers call and ask for a fungicide treatment, granular applications of baylon cost me $30 per property just to purchase the product. it came as a shock to me that both of these customers thought that this treatment would be free of charge since they r paying for a fert program. the contract clearly states what the program consists of. what do u all think. thanks

2. jeffyr

jeffyr LawnSite Senior Member

I include a statement in the contract saying that because fungicides are costly and not always necessary they will be an additional charge when they are needed. It is then the customers choice--I give them the breakdown of how much it will cost to apply fungicide and how much to renovate the damage that could occur if no fungicide was spread. I also know which properties red thread will break out on and talk most of them into preventative treatments which is 1/2 the application rate. I have 2 customers together---1 gets bayeleton before and 1 after the initial sign of Red thread. They will both get it bad, but the preventative application shows little , if any, damage. The other customer always will then explain that it didn't work on their property. Too Late !

Jeffyr

3. MATTHEW

MATTHEW LawnSite Senior Member
    from NE OHIO

Fungicides are to prevent or cure a disease problem.
    In my vast experience less than 10% of lawns get so
    bad that they need it.You should in no way pay for
    it. Does the doctor give you free antibiotics when
    you get sick? No. You should have a substantial charge
    for this service. Also, you should advertize a program
    that includes preventative disease control with a much
    higher price. Most people will take their chance that
    they WONT need it.If they do-well,you buy it and move on.

4. bobbygedd

bobbygedd LawnSite Fanatic
    from NJ

good idea, next year i will sell programs with the option of fung at an additional charge. thanks guys

5. dhicks

dhicks Member

This may be paranoia but if I see or think I see any fungi on a customers lawn, once finished mowing, etc, I spray my mower tires, blades, trimmer and my shoes with a diluted solution of bleach. Some of my properties are one and two acres. Bayleton to treat that much area would cost a small fortune.