Lawn Care Forum banner
1 - 20 of 43 Posts

·
Banned
10,160 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
ok, a customer calls, and wants stone put in. u measure, do the math, u tell them they need 10 ton, at $140 a ton. halfway through the job, u say, uh o....something is wrong. u muffed the numbers up, some how, some way, u screwed up. u need 13 ton to finish the job. do u tell the client u need extra stone, and it will cost more? or do u just buy it, finish, and not say a word?

·
Registered
2,849 Posts
$420 is pretty difficult to "eat it" yourself. I'd try to explain the need for more stone... "we used a bit more than than expected due to the ground being so wet, we wanted a firm base...." I guess next time i'd try to leave something in the estimate stating qty of material can fluxate 25% or something.

·
Registered
2,295 Posts
epic hit it on the head. estimate is estimate, even if it was a bid, when you submitted it i would have put in a little discloser explaining that ground conditions etc could effect material quantity. so you dont make this mistake again bobby

·
Registered
1,266 Posts
spread it out thinner and call it good. just kidding, if this is someone youve been working with they shouldnt be that rigid on an honest miscalculation.

·
Registered
2,659 Posts
I agree that $400+ of rock is a lot to eat. Tell them whatever you feel they need to know, then simply add "If you would like it done right the first time, I need to add more rock, which will be an extra $xx.xx Maybe you can eat some of it, oh, say $100 or so, after all it is your fault for miscalculating. Good luck, let us know what they say and how it turns out.

·
Registered
1,898 Posts
Do the job for the quoted figure & use it as a learning experience. It's not like your losing the $140/ton, only the materials and some labor. If you told them that its $140/ton and will be approximately 10 ton +- 1 ton, then thats another story. You were off 30% on YOUR estimate. That's too much of a mistake for the client to make up. Maybe they could pay for the materials, but thats all.

Good luck

·
Banned
10,160 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
ok, whats the verdict? the extra materials will cost me $90 plus maybe $20 in labor, 5 in gas, thats $115. eat it, or tell them i goofed, they need to pay up?

·
Registered
13,488 Posts
Actually, that is what I was going to suggest,- as a bartering lever, anyway. Explain it to them, and explain that the estimate for spreading that many ton. If they want to give yiou a hard time about it, explain to them that you can do for that, with the first quoted tonage, but it isn't going to be spread right, because it will be too thin. I think they'll change their tune.

·
Registered
5,129 Posts
if u gave a price and they signed off on it i would pry eat the difference i would rather have a happy customer telling friends that i did a great job rather than i messed up and then tired to stick them with a bigger bill than quoted

·
Banned
10,160 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
well, im glad u guys feel thay way. NOW, ill tell what really happened. my measurements ALWAYS come out absolutely perfect, down to the last pebble. this time, the lady was talkin to me, following me around the yard, not shutting up for one minute. what happened was, i measured one area, and wrote it down twice. i estimated 13 ton of stone, gave a price, she said go with it. when we went to do the job, halfway through, i realized i screwed up. i only needed 10 ton, not 13, but the price i charged was for 13 ton. NOW, what do you do? finish the job, take your check and leave, or explain that u estimated wrong, and the bill is $320 LOWER?

1 - 20 of 43 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.