Who sells/installs pine straw mulch?

Hotty Toddy

LawnSite Senior Member
I use pine straw mulch in my own landscape; it's my favorite. In my opinion, it's easier to install, too.

But it's very expensive. Perhaps prohibitively expensive.

Do any of you install pine straw for customers? How does the cost and profit compare to installing hardwood mulch?

My cost per bale is $8.79 which covers about 10 square feet.

Example for a 1000 SF bed --

• 6 yards of hardwood mulch x $85 per yard = $510 charged to customer. My profit on this would be $370.50
  • 100 bales of pine straw x $8.79 = $879 cost to me. Id's have to charge $1249.50 to make the same $370.50 profit.
Does this line up closely to your experience? Am I paying way too much for pine straw? Are my calculations screwed up?

Thanks for your advice.

HT

arl250

LawnSite Bronze Member
Pine straw isn’t nowhere near that expensive in my area. My cost is anywhere from $4-5 a bale but I know several guys that get them cheaper than that because they buy so much of it at once. Installed I usually get $10 a bale but that includes bed prep and edging. Most of my jobs usually take 20-100 bales

sjessen

LawnSite Fanatic
About $5 per bale here. Some from Florida and some from Carolina's.

Usually 3-4 bales equals a yard of hardwood.

Not only are your bales $, they are small.

I'm a one horse rodeo but do about 500 bales per year. Sometimes more, sometimes, less.

OP
H

Hotty Toddy

LawnSite Senior Member
Pine straw isn’t nowhere near that expensive in my area. My cost is anywhere from $4-5 a bale but I know several guys that get them cheaper than that because they buy so much of it at once. Installed I usually get $10 a bale but that includes bed prep and edging. Most of my jobs usually take 20-100 bales
I wish I could get it for that price. I’ll keep looking for a cheaper source.

Hotty Toddy!