Who sells trees?

Discussion in 'Christmas Trees & Seasonal' started by Vecchio Lawn Care, Nov 29, 2014.

1. GrassManKzoo

GrassManKzoo LawnSite Platinum Member
    Male, from Kalamazoo, MI

Also didnt see you knocking the guy from Oregon. Pretty sure that's a LOT farther.
    Posted via Mobile Device

2. easy-lift guy

easy-lift guy LawnSite Gold Member

No one is criticizing anyone. Florida actually produces Christmas Trees FYI.
    If you took the time to read the thread from the beginning you would have
    possibly realized that I already recommended to the OP the President of the Maryland Christmas Tree growers association for the best source of information for the Sate of Maryland where the OP is from. Your trying to help and that is fine. Just try reading other replies before you think I am not trying to help.
    I offer common sense for really really simple questions. The rest is up to the OP to decide on and others to may be learn from.
    easy-lift guy

3. GrassManKzoo

GrassManKzoo LawnSite Platinum Member
    Male, from Kalamazoo, MI

Dear easy-lift,

Apparently you missed this one

Posted via Mobile Device

Please visit mitrees.com to know why I referred him to them

4. easy-lift guy

Nothing to miss. His best source for information would be my orinigal choice because he is based in Maryland. Other species may be grown and are available else where, however if the OP is just really curious and has no desire to enter the Christmas tree growing industry, I am sure that The advise given for every where else but Maryland should help him out. I prefer to recommend the best local source for information concerning the Christmas Tree Industry. Of course the OP can make up his own mind.
    easy-lift guy

5. ken18621

ken18621 LawnSite Member

I agree that you should check with your states Christmas tree growers association for guidance. It isn't not only for growers but also for buyers. Most of them publish a list of sellers in the fall.

If you are serious about getting into selling trees take the time to educate yourself about trees. Not all tree growers produce healthy trees. With that said, don't look at price as the main reason for obtaining a buyer.

Put yourself in the consumers shoes. As a consumer you want a healthy tree at a fair price. Sure you can get a supplier that is willing to dump trees very cheap that may have needlecast or spider mite infestations or one of many other pest or disease problems. You can make a killing for the first year or two before your customers realize that the needles are falling off before Christmas comes. And you have converted them to an artificial tree, you are out of business.

You want fresh cut trees. Some big box stores buy truckloads from Canada that are cut in October and thrown into a lake to retain moisture until they are ready for delivery so they appear healthy when it reaches the store.. they don't care,,,,, why? ,,, because they sell artificial trees as well.

I grow trees and would never sell an inferior tree just to make a buck. I had to put off selling 3000+ douglas fir trees for 3 years a few years ago because they got Rhabdocline Needlecast .... sure the trees looked healthy but once you get them in the warm house and the tree thinks its spring all the outside needles fall off.

I also would never wholesale a tree for under $18. I would cut them down for wreath brush first. It takes a lot of time and money to make little money as a grower.

6. OP
    OP
    Vecchio Lawn Care

Vecchio Lawn Care LawnSite Senior Member

I have been selling trees for two years now and have been quite successful. I have not had any problems with customers complaining about trees. The wreaths from the same guy last well through January. I would happily pay $16 a tree for these but he is happy with $13. Win win.

7. easy-lift guy

Since you have been selling for the last Two years, and are quite successful, you may want to consider joining the Maryland Christmas Tree Association.
    Knowledge is power and like the last poster to your thread commented about knowing about all of your species and sources may be right in front of you. You may be even more successful!
    easy-lift guy

8. DJS4

DJS4 LawnSite Senior Member
    Female, from Ohio

This is an interest. Is there an Assoc. in Ohio? The one I found hasn't been active in a couple years. Any other avenues of education?

9. b landscaping

b landscaping LawnSite Member

North Carolina mountains. Best Fraiser firs around
    Posted via Mobile Device

10. ken18621

ken18621 LawnSite Member