Lawn Care Forum banner
1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
197 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
New thought! any comments or experences!:blob2:

How about running 2 one man trucks.

First, least experenced employee and lowest paid is simply a mower. Mows and Goes. 8 hours and a good rout 11 to 13 lawns.

Second, for now this would be me follows edges and blows.

Second route would only take 2 + hours and would keep me or in the future a higher paid supervisor in contact with the customer. As we grow I can just add more Mower trucks.

First problem to overcome is the time delay on the first couple jobs of the day if the customer is home.

·
Registered
214 Posts
Do you really trust your newest employee driving around your truck and your mower without you there supervising? It just seems to me if you hire someone and tell them "go mow" theres a good possibility they may have a little bit of fun. You're also paying the over head on 2 trucks as opposed to only one. The point you bring up regarding the time delay is a good one because for that amount of time between when the mowing guy leaves and you come (could be up to a couple hours) the property will be untrimmed and there will be clippings on the drive/street. If someone didn't know thats how you operate and they drive by in between the two times....:eek: ...may have just lost yourself a potential customer. But it might work :confused:

-Coop

·
Registered
55 Posts
Interesting concept but think about it. You drive twice as many miles to do the same job. While the guy mows he's seeing what he missed and if anything has changed. Does he blow off or does he leave it for you? Sounds very inefficient to me. How would you like to be just a "mow" guy who's never responsible for his final work? I would think You'd both be very unhappy. If you want to just work a few hours, give your guy a route to mow and you just go do the few you want to visit.
I get these great ideas occasionally but usually realize once I sober up where they came from!:D

·
Registered
197 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Some good comments, but I'm also looking for ideas on how something like this might work.
What I see is a way I can still stay in direct contact with my customers and have up to 30 accounts a day serviced.
Keep the feed-back coming.
In regards to the employee, they would not be first day. They would go through our normal training program and work their way up to that level.

·
Banned
1,647 Posts
Personaly

I think your bird dropped an egg from the nest

Are you not in contact with your customers when your there together?
Is there some kind magic dust that you spread around so the customers are there only when you are?

The only time you want anyone to be ahead of the main crew is during cleanups.

Spring for power raking
Fall to start blowing the leaves out.

·
Registered
394 Posts
Five Diamonds

Right concept wrong execution. One man crews are deffinately the most effecient at servicing lawns as you have noone standing around while the other guy finishes up and only one person to ask why something wasnt completed.

To have a chase crew behind the first truck only increases the expenses including additional drive time of getting to the job and adds nothing to the efficiency of the operation.

My question for you is if two people are in the same truck would you not expect to get thru double the amount of cuts so your hitting 22-26 in a day with two guys? Only reasons I would see would be if one person spends way too much of his time waiting for the other to finish his mowing or whatever and if thats the case you need to purchase another piece of equipment so that guy can get using it to help the first guy finish it.

·
Banned
1,647 Posts
Look at what you posted

You're talking something about.

Fisrt crew, second crew.
1 man 8 hours, 11- 13 a day
then 2 hours or something, catching up to the other

My head hurts :dizzy:

Then your saying something to the effect of 30 a day. Something about the best edger. Machine? operator? WHAT?

Gonna take a shot in the dark here.
All your guys have to learn each machine. What if one is sick one day. Don't cut grass that day? Only edge those cause your grass cutter is sick? Each crew member has to be able to do everything, maybe not at first but eventualy.

Training, training, supervision. And then more supervision is how you get everyone to do the job as well as the other.

·
Banned
10,160 Posts
i agree, every crew member is cross trained . every member is able to operate each piece of equipment as good as the next. if im getting this right, i dont like the idea. to me a one man crew is not efficient. its kind of like this: if you are jogging, the first mile may be done in 6 minutes, the second, will take longer, and the third, fourth, and fifth even longer. if a two man crew can do an everage lawn in 15 min, it doesnt mean a one man crew will do it in 30. and if he does, the second lawn will take him 32, the third , fourth and fifth, even longer, and the sixth, seventh and eighth even longer than the third, fourth, and fifth. are u following me? and now you are makink two trips to the same house, twice the fuel usage, twice the wear on the vehicle, etc. also what cooper said, mow man leaves debris and clippings on the walkway, and leaves property un edged, etc, looks bad. ill pass on that one. let me know how it works out.

·
Registered
30 Posts
You say u want to get 30 accounts done daily, correct. By doing this you are spending twice the amount of gas using tow trucks and personally I would drop you if your first guy left my lawn with it not being whipped. The best way to get 30 accounts done is to send two crews out thats 15 per crew and I am sure even the slowest crew can manage 15 cuts in about 6-7hrs considering the drive time between each cut is about 5-10 min.
Ken

·
Registered
70 Posts
One man crews are more efficient for man hour ratings. The larger the crew is the lower the man hour ratings are going to be.

Example:

Two man crew
Last week's cut of a property
In at 2:45 pm out at 3:04 pm
.63 hours for TWO people
30 bucks per cut = $47.62 per man hour

One man crew
Last year at same property on same week
In at 2:03 pm out at 2:25 pm
.37 hours for ONE person
30 bucks per cut = $81.08 per man hour

I have hundreds more records showing the same result. Different people have done that lawn and other lawns alone with the same man hour results. Time it both ways and see what you think.

·
Banned
10,160 Posts
but do this over an 8 or 10 hr day, and see the numbers change. for instance, i know if all i have to do today is 4 lawns solo, i can bust my behind, and get them done in 2 hrs. but, if i have to pac e myself, and plan on doing 12 lawns, the first 4 will take longer, and the last 4 the longest.

·
Banned
1,647 Posts
Originally posted by ahah
One man crews are more efficient for man hour ratings. The larger the crew is the lower the man hour ratings are going to be.

Example:

Two man crew
Last week's cut of a property
In at 2:45 pm out at 3:04 pm
.63 hours for TWO people
30 bucks per cut = $47.62 per man hour

One man crew
Last year at same property on same week
In at 2:03 pm out at 2:25 pm
.37 hours for ONE person
30 bucks per cut = $81.08 per man hour

I have hundreds more records showing the same result. Different people have done that lawn and other lawns alone with the same man hour results. Time it both ways and see what you think.
2:45 - 3:04 = 19 minutes
2:03 - 2:25 = 22 minutes

An extra guy saves you 3 minutes?
Did you pay him for the whole day or only for that one lawn?

Anyone works like that don't make it to the end of the day. They get dropped at the corner, where they can wait for the bus.

A 2 man crew should cut your time down more than just the 3 minutes. Unless your both sittin in the truck sippin on a coke singing along with a song on the radio.

·
Registered
70 Posts
So one person will get more fatigued than two people? :D
That one example I gave you was from a property that is traditionally towards the end of the day. Do you want me to post numbers from early mornings? Ok then.

Last week
one man crew
In at 11:35 am out at 12:53 pm
1.3 man hours
100.45 per cut = $77.26 per man hour

Last year, same week, same property
two man crew
In at 10:44 am out at 11:43 pm
1.97 man hours
100.45 per cut = $50.99 per man hour

Time it both ways and see what you think.

·
Registered
70 Posts
Originally posted by GLAN
2:45 - 3:04 = 19 minutes
2:03 - 2:25 = 22 minutes

An extra guy saves you 3 minutes?
Did you pay him for the whole day or only for that one lawn?

Anyone works like that don't make it to the end of the day. They get dropped at the corner, where they can wait for the bus.

A 2 man crew should cut your time down more than just the 3 minutes. Unless your both sittin in the truck sippin on a coke singing along with a song on the radio.
No, an extra guy cost me 16 minutes. It isn't matter of not busting butt. It isn't a matter training or skills. I was there for both of those. I was the one man crew and part of the two man crew. It is simply more efficient.

·
Banned
10,160 Posts
just my opinion, u can track every minute of every job and i still think a two man crew will be more efficient. nobody likes to work alone. it helps everybody when there is someone to talk to in between stops. my guy barely understands what im saying, but i just keep talkin, and he keeps nodding and smiling, i like having someone else there.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.