Who trims the fence?

bob

LawnSite Platinum Member
Here's the lay-out. You have a customer that does not have a fence. However the neighbor on the right side has a long chain link fence. Do you trim the fence line or leave it for the neighbor to trim?

geogunn

LawnSite Silver Member
it depends on your agreement with your client as to whether you trim the clients side of the neighbors fence.

in my opinion, if it's not in the agreement and the fence is more than a nominal amount...it's no trim.

it's a shame if grass growing through a chain link fence make your nice mow job look like crap but that's the breaks.

GEO

65hoss

LawnSite Fanatic
If one side of the fence is on your customers side, just trim it. That could be the difference in them giving you a great reference or just an ok job reference.

Eric

Doug406

LawnSite Member
No Doubt, If you do not trim the fence you are nothing but a money hungry lawn care butthead!! Trim the fence, add it to the price if you think it is nessesary for profit. But trim the stinking fence and start being proud of the work you do or get out of the buisiness. It is about time that we call ourselves professionals by doing a quality job, is'nt it!

Richard Martin

LawnSite Fanatic
Trim the fence, no doubt. I have a couple of customers who have chain link fences and the neighbor doesn't trim on their side. I just go over there and trim it when it gets unruly.

John DiMartino

LawnSite Silver Member
I do a lawn with 2500ft of fence,I trim it all,the neighboring businesses lawncare companys do not trim and it grows thru the fence making my job look bad.I got permission from the warehouse to trim it once already,just so my job looks ok,I think ill be getting both neighboring jobs next year,if i bid them.

Chuck Sinclair

LawnSite Senior Member
Sure am glad to see i'm not the only who would trim the fence! The way i see it the fence was there when you gave them the price for the job and it most likey looked like CRAP then so you knew what to expect!