Lawn Care Forum banner

Who uses standers to mow small residential yards?

18K views 61 replies 30 participants last post by  GreenBra 
#1 ·
Trying to get an idea if its feasible to use a stander for small residential yards. Access issues as well as brands and pros and cons would be appreciated.

#4 ·
my 48in grandstand does most/all my small residential jobs, I run a two man crew 24 jobs 10 hrs. I run two mowers as much as I can. A bunch of jobs I can do multiple with out moving the truck as well as two I drive close to 20 miles to get to, but they pay very well. a few I wish I had a 36in walk behind but I get alone fine for now.

#5 ·
my 48in grandstand does most/all my small residential jobs, I run a two man crew 24 jobs 10 hrs. I run two mowers as much as I can. A bunch of jobs I can do multiple with out moving the truck as well as two I drive close to 20 miles to get to, but they pay very well. a few I wish I had a 36in walk behind but I get alone fine for now.
Must be nice to have them "open" lots. :laugh: I just ran through every one of my customers properties in my head and I can't think of ONE I could fit a 48" in the back lawn. Even my acre lots don't have a gate that big. :laugh:

#6 ·
Must be nice to have them "open" lots. :laugh: I just ran through every one of my customers properties in my head and I can't think of ONE I could fit a 48" in the back lawn. Even my acre lots don't have a gate that big. :laugh:
Haha I wish 4 of them only leave me a 1in or so to spare getting threw a gate the same ones by the time you get 10ft you have to turn around or go around something. Also have 2 cemetery's that I wouldn't be caught dead with my stander. The rest and pretty easy going.
Posted via Mobile Device

#7 ·
Haha I wish 4 of them only leave me a 1in or so to spare getting threw a gate the same ones by the time you get 10ft you have to turn around or go around something. Also have 2 cemetery's that I wouldn't be caught dead with my stander. The rest and pretty easy going.
Posted via Mobile Device
I hear you. I bet you do have some tight spots with the 48". Did you just get a good deal on it? I would have looked into a 36 if I was in your situation, but you know your properties better than me. :laugh:

Don't get me wrong, nothing against standers, if I wanted to drop that kind of cash I would have one on the trailer now, the walk behind with the sulky was well within my budget with money to spare. :laugh:

#8 ·
a 36" can mow a lot of grass, especially in the form of a stander or with a velke.

draw backs to the stander are generally the same as a rider.
Guy tend to scuff up the turf with the turns, they get lazy and focus on going too fast and turning.

Turning in tight areas can be frustrating.

The intermediate walk behind has always been king of the small to medium residential yard.

Just that guys who have a full range of all yard types will benefit more over all from a Stander.

This pretty much quenches the WB market.

Wright standers come in 32 and 36" sizes. I dint think anyone else makes a 32" stander.

A stander is a good choice for small residential lawns unless we are talking about 'dinky', then they will tend to do a lot of turf damage as there is more turning and maneuvering than striping.

a good general rule for "too big of a mower" is, if you can't cut the lawn in more than one pattern, the mower you are using is too big for the space.

#9 ·
I hear you. I bet you do have some tight spots with the 48". Did you just get a good deal on it? I would have looked into a 36 if I was in your situation, but you know your properties better than me. :laugh:

Don't get me wrong, nothing against standers, if I wanted to drop that kind of cash I would have one on the trailer now, the walk behind with the sulky was well within my budget with money to spare. :laugh:
At the time I had a X324 with a 48in deck, when I got to the point of needing another mower I wanted another 48in so I could match lines, now with a 54in on my X739 it leaves me no option but to deal with a 48 on smaller yards. If I keep growing like I am the grandstand will be getting traded in for a John Deere stander and at the same time I'll work in a 36in walk behind.
Posted via Mobile Device

#11 ·
Smokin joe how do you like the x739 does it do hills good and do you have pics of how it cuts I have a x534 right know and looking at replacing it
I love it, I do hills so steep it's hard to walk on. The JD dealer said they are bringing back the diesel 4 wheel drive 4 wheel steer later this year I am very tempted to trade in for that, I have worked the heck out of it for the little over a year I have had it just hit 154 hrs today only over heated once "this spring thatching" moves fast cuts amazing. I'll work on getting pics.
Posted via Mobile Device

#13 ·
What did you give if you don't mind I was quoted 16500 tractor and bagger
Tractor, deck, bagger, different mounting brackets for fertilizer spreader, thatcher mounts and extra wing, mud flaps, and 25G sprayer, front weight kit with 2 weights, a little over 15xxx.
Posted via Mobile Device

#15 ·
Wow I need a road trip
Haha kinda helped that the buddy I plow with, and the farm I work on buy equipment from the same place my buddy and cousin both deal with the women that sold me the mower. Got 10% off all attachments.
Posted via Mobile Device

#16 ·
I bought the Toro GS 52" and love it for small yards. Got a mulching kit on it and its fantastic.

No more worries of blowing grass on the street or flower beds.

I use it on about about half the lawns I mow. It's quick and manuverable and doesn't leave a big footprint.

One of the best purchases I've ever made.

#19 ·
48" Grandstand & 30" Toro Turfmaster. Best setup I've ever had. I've got a few tiny (.15 acre & under) lawns that I exclusively use the TM on, and a handful of back yards the GS won't fit into that I use the TM on. Probably 80% of my properties sees the TM staying on the trailer. My properties range in size from true "postage stamp-size" up to 4 acres, and I'm happy enough with my efficiency/profitability on the 4 acre one that I don't plan on upgrading any time soon.

#20 ·
I was running a 21" toro commercial, 40" grandstand, 52" grandstand and 61" Ferris,
I just picked up a 30" Turfmaster today and i've been using that in place of the 21" in most places, but still using the 21… i have used my 40" grand stand on a ton of small lawns… i can fit through a lot of gates on it, but like some of the guys said they can scuff up the lawn.

#24 ·
Ok, been on this site awhile but haven't ever posted. Whats the deal with walk behind and stander mowers? Whats the advantage of them vs. small zero turn riders? I have never seen any lawncare business in northeast Kansas use either one. Everyone here uses riders or a 21" pusher for tight spaces. Most of the guys use 60" mowers and a few have 54's. Are our lawns just that much larger in general?

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.