1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Catch up on the conversation with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns in the Franchising forum plus sign up to receive a FREE eBook on how to grow your landscape business.

Dismiss Notice

Who would replace their battery every year?

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by mowerdave, Sep 18, 2006.

1. mowerdave

mowerdave LawnSite Member

I had the battery go bad on my mower the other day. Not a big deal, just replaced it for $20 and was on my way. I was talking to another guy that said he replaces his battery every spring if it needs it or not. (I am guessing not). He said that it was like buying a $20 insurance policy without the down time. Seems to me like a waste of money. Maybe I am wrong. Does anyone else shange their battery every spring regardless of its condition?

2. LLandscaping

LLandscaping LawnSite Bronze Member

You should get at least 2 or 3yrs out of a battery.

3. WildWest

WildWest LawnSite Senior Member

I wouldn't do it EVERY year, but every other ain't a bad idea, definitely every 3 years!

4. JTF40

JTF40 LawnSite Senior Member

Several years ago, My NEW Cub Cadet battery lasted for 7 years. It was the original battery and it was still in the tractor (model 1641) when I traded it for my ZD21. :usflag:

5. lawnmaniac883

lawnmaniac883 LawnSite Silver Member

Run them till they die. Not only do you waste money by replacing every year but you are wasting a battery that is good for another 2 years probably. Seriously, how much down time is there from a dead battery? 1 hour? Big deal.

6. grass disaster

grass disaster LawnSite Silver Member

i take mine out every winter and store it in the basement. if i feel ambitious i'll stick the trickle charger on it for a couple days. mine is going strong at 4 years.

7. procut

procut LawnSite Bronze Member

I run mine till they die.
    I have an '01 Dodge that has been used a plow truckfor 3 years and still has the origional battery. I am considering replacing this one before winter though.

8. pugs

pugs LawnSite Gold Member

Thats your problem right there. You get what you pay for. Batteries are like everything else...available in different grades. We carry interstate batteries. We really only stock the top 2 models...the SP30 and SP40. Although now I think they have an SP35. There used to be a 20 which I think is gone and now they have an SP18 and SP24. They range quite a bit in price. We normally use the SP30 in homeowner equipment and the SP40 in commercial equipment.

9. Richard Martin

Richard Martin LawnSite Fanatic

I'm on my fourth year on my Dixie battery. It's a Deka and I swear they are the best small equipment battery you can buy. Although I do clean the terminals ocassionally they never have any buildup on them. A lot of the junk batterys out-gas all over themselves and require constant cleaning.

10. ATL Lawn

ATL Lawn LawnSite Senior Member

i just carry one of thes in each truck
    [​IMG]