1. Is Landscaping An “Essential Business” In Your Region?
    Read the timely article from Turf addressing this question. Click here to learn more.

COVID-19 Safety Procedures For Landscapers
    As you are working out in the field, maximize safety for you, your crews, and customers. Click here to learn more.

Dismiss Notice

Who's the Best & Worst

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by Twotoros, Jul 29, 2000.

1. gusbuster

gusbuster LawnSite Silver Member

With me:<br>Most timely payers: Self-employed people. They realize that you have bills to pay.<p>The worst: Doctors, Dentist, and Esquires. All three people always have to wait for claims or settlements to be paid. <br>Jean<br><p>----------<br>J-LC Landscaping & Maintenance Gardening<br>C-27 Ca Contr# 770044

2. Mowin4cash

Mowin4cash LawnSite Member

Worst - Commercial sites, most pay when they feel like it, almost never to terms. They wait and write your check on the due date, and then mail it.<p>Best - Private individual residentials who aren't too rich. Most pay at time of service, but at least in 5 days or so. Hell, some of mine even bring me cold Pepsis and cookies out to me while I'm cutting, and then praise me on how sweet I am and how wonderful thier property looks. Boy it's great to be a REPUBLICAN!!!! <p>----------<br>When the mowing gets tough, sharpen your blades, and don't forget to &quot;VOTE REPUBLICAN&quot;!!!<br>

3. southside

southside LawnSite Senior Member

Best:- Chinese & Tiawanese customers.<p>Worst:- Building contractors.<p>Karl<br>

4. SuperiorProfits

SuperiorProfits LawnSite Member

I would definitely agree chinese are the best. One of my customer is chinese and he runs out the door to pay me and always has a drink in hand. And to top it off he gets the trimmer out and does all of that.<br>Worst Divorced women

5. MOW ED

MOW ED LawnSite Fanatic

Most timely: widows<br>Least timely: dentists<p>Best $ per mow : dentists<br>Least $ per mow: widows<br>

6. KirbysLawn

KirbysLawn Millenium Member

My best: married couple (actully the home that was in the photo on my bid thread), they usully don't wait for my invoice, they just sent it at the first of the month.<p>My worst: I let her go in March, single woman.<p>I've found that enclosing a SASE inside with my invoices helps the turn around.<p>

7. Grasshopper

Grasshopper Guest

Best: Old people. They always pay cash too. I have on customer who is about 80 or so and I have been mowing his lawn for 3 years now and have never once had a late payment from him<br>Worst: Everyone else. It's so bad sometimes with these people that when you finally do get their payment, it just seems like a bonus now because it was due so long ago.

8. OP
    OP
    Twotoros

Twotoros LawnSite Senior Member

I know what you mean g-hopper . I just had a good customer (always pays...but)<br>let his april,may and june pile up . It was almost 500$ . I wrote on his statement -'<br>'Ouch that's gotta hurt ' <br>What's bad sometimes is that when 2-3 months pile up the customer can feel what it costs as well as see it . <br>Seems I always have 8-10 dragging their feet to pay . You just want to call and say &quot; Ya know if this is such a finacial burden maybe you should be doing it yourself.<br>I had a contractor wait to pay his last 3 months bill til Dec.12th . I had sent him a final notice 'going to collection ' letter . We sent them on the same day . When he got mine he popped off a letter of his own firing me . I won't repeat what I told him in a response letter of my own . I could scream sometimes.

9. yardsmith

yardsmith LawnSite Senior Member
    from Ohio

Best-responsible people of any age/church folks from my church- I can lay a guilt trip if I have to :)<br>Worst- arabs, (indian &quot;habib' doctors & motel owners, 7-11 store owner types). They want it done for nothing with lots of freebies thrown in, then won't pay you for 8 months. Also the 25 & under newly married generation-Why aren't they mowing it them selves???? They think since you have all that equip it's OK to hire you then stiff you. Boy my 4x4 lays a mean yard job :)<p>----------<br>Smitty ô¿ô<br>

10. jaclawn

jaclawn LawnSite Senior Member

Best- Senior citizens that don't drive
    Worst- Real Estate Hucksters