Wht todo with tall ornamental grasses?

Discussion in 'Nurseries and Growers' started by Coleminer, Jan 16, 2017.

1. Coleminer

Coleminer LawnSite Member

As far as trimming, how do you take care of taller ornamental grasses such as fescue after the winter kills it off?

2. RussellB

RussellB LawnSite Fanatic

I don't believe I've ever heard fescue referred to as ornamental grass. Do you mean Pampus grass? Muhley grass?

3. Coleminer

Yes I actually googled tall ornamental grass and tht popped up thts y I put tht. I am not 100% sure on the type of grass it is. Actually Yes it is a type of pampus grass I just looked it up. Sorry bout tht

4. RussellB

I cut several hundred plants in February. Even cut across the top approximately two feet high..

5. RussellB

upload_2017-1-16_16-31-42.jpeg

We use gas hedge trimmers to cut it then use silage forks to load tarps to haul it to the trailer. Wear long sleeves and gloves.

GrassManKzoo and kawasaki guy like this.
  6. Darryl G

Darryl G Inactive

Gas hedge trimmers for ornamental grasses too. Some are cut in fall and some in spring depending on customer's preference. Mine is to leave them until spring. Just because it's brown doesn't mean it's not attractive.

I often tie a cord above my cut to turn it into an easily handled bundle.

GrassManKzoo and hort101 like this.
  7. Coleminer

Thxs a lot for the input guys. Yes I will also do the cord sometimes. But I will also use the cheap duct tape it works best for me. Again Thxs!

8. RussellB

[​IMG]

One of the sites we maintain

Jesssoul and sjessen like this.
  9. JMK26

JMK26 LawnSite Bronze Member
    Male, from Missouri

Had a helper say "I don't need long sleeves or gloves"....I smiled and said "okie doke"....

Guy was scratchin' and I was laughin'.

I also do a bungee or tie above the cut....really makes it easier to clean up. I have one long bungee and a smaller one....I go down the line and sling the long bungee on and then tighten it wiht the smaller, take the longer one off, go to the next and repeat. Then go down the line with the hedge trimmer. Load it up and go back for detail work, toss those clippings in a bucket and off to the dump.

hort101 and RussellB like this.
  10. hort101

hort101 LawnSite Fanatic
    Male, from S.E. New England

:D lol