Why 21" Rotary Walks?

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing Equipment' started by rayzer7, Mar 12, 2019.

Tags:
  1. rayzer7

rayzer7 LawnSite Member

Hey guys, just a quick touch base about what you like/dislike about 21" commercial rotary mowers.
    • What specific role do they serve in your crew?
    • What sets them apart from all your other cutting equipment?
    • What's the ONE THING you'd change if could about these mowers?

2. lawnboy dan

lawnboy dan LawnSite Gold Member

for me they mostly trim and mow ditches and steep hills and some back yard s. was a time when they were my primary mowers but not so much now. during leaf season they are invaluable . I use snapper hi vac and ariens to bag and mulch leaves. I have a snapper hi vac rider for big yards but the 21,s see plenty of action in leaf duty. for me they serve a valuable service still and I ALWAYS have several on the trailer everyday. only thing I would change is have more variety in what we get to choose from now. only a few comm 21 still made . most companys have abandoned this market

K c m likes this.
  3. Turf Tracer

Turf Tracer LawnSite Platinum Member

Toro recently updated their 20 yr old commercial 21 design and its one of best 21”s ever made.

The rest are dogs though. Honda can’t seem to figure out we don’t want a 120 plus lb underpowered 21” trim mower.

And Snapper needs update their controls. Hard to use in tight areas for extended periods.

No other viable choices.

4. Valk

Valk LawnSite Gold Member

I'd try a Toro Commercial 21 if it had a side-discharge chute out of the right side of the deck. The tube out of the back to the left is inferior.
    Until then, the Toro SR21 is decent enough...just not Commercially durable.

5. Turf Tracer

Turf Tracer LawnSite Platinum Member

22290 can mulch everything well enough don’t need to side shoot

22156 was last of the great discharge Toros.

6. lawnboy dan

lawnboy dan LawnSite Gold Member

I have no issue with the snapper controls. easy and comfy to use for me. as long as there is the good toro comm and the snapper hi vac and ninja -I am good.