1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Catch up on the conversation with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns in the Franchising forum plus sign up to receive a FREE eBook on how to grow your landscape business.

Dismiss Notice

Why are bed edgers pull behind?

Discussion in 'Landscape Architecture and Design' started by General Landscaping, Dec 12, 2005.

1. General Landscaping

General Landscaping LawnSite Senior Member

I'm in the planning stages to build a bed edger.

Everything is manual pull behind....is there a reason not to make one with a single hydro transaxle that you work from behind and just steer and work the hydro lever?
    I'm thinking a tricycle design with the front wheels pulling.

What HP is considered to be plenty of power for bed edging, concrete curb/paver trenching, and light wire trenching?

I have not used a bed edger...... so if there is some stupid, obvious reason not to make one self-propel and operate from the rear; take it easy on me.

On a side note...... I'm not planning on building the actual cutter heads. Is there a company that stands out for good quality bed edger cutters?

Is there a standard shaft size or drive arrangement? (smooth 3/4" hole & tight nut, 1/4" keyway on 1" shaft, etc)

2. Jimbo046

Jimbo046 LawnSite Member

hey bud I do alittle fabrication as well. I was planning on building one too. I tell you it is not worth the time you will waste. To build it right you will have 40-50% of what you could go to the dealer and by a new for. Some do go forward, i have the pull backwards type made by ez-trench it only has a 6.5 honda the stump cutter type blade has continious cutting teeth a spaced out better than trench master which has a 9hp and a blade that has 2 sides both work good i prefer the ez trench lighter weight. you can buy that unit for 2500.00 or less.

3. General Landscaping

General Landscaping LawnSite Senior Member

What is the drive setup for the cutter head?
    Shaft size?
    Keyway?
    External/internal threads for cutter retention? (end of shaft)

4. Drew Gemma

Drew Gemma LawnSite Bronze Member

cost ? thats why they are manual powered