1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Catch up on the conversation with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns in the Franchising forum plus sign up to receive a FREE eBook on how to grow your landscape business.

Dismiss Notice

Why are power rakes so narrow?

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by gogetter, Mar 12, 2004.

1. gogetter

gogetter Banned

Just wondering out loud here. Why are power rakes so narrow?. I was looking at them online and they generally run like 18" wide or so.

Sure would take a long time to do a lawn of any real size.

Just wondering why they don't make them in a wider version, say.....36" or something like that?

Only thing I come up with is maybe because uneven or bumpy ground would be a problem for a wider machine? Which makes sense to some extent, but surely you could get away with 32"-36"? No?

I haven't used one yet, so maybe those that have would have a better insight.

2. tiedeman

tiedeman LawnSite Fanatic
    from earth

I was just wondering about that with my aerator...only 20" wide. I think that the largest that they make in my brand was 26"

3. gogetter

gogetter Banned

Yeah, but at least with the aerators you have the option of going with a wider tow behind unit.

As far as I know, there isn't a tow behind power rake (I'm talking a true power rake/de-thatcher, not a tine rake).

Hmm, some e-mails to the manufacturers might be in order.

4. gogetter

gogetter Banned

5. mtdman

mtdman LawnSite Gold Member

Ever run one? It's a pretty big work out. Both a power rake and a aerator. They are heavy equipment and hard to man handle. If they made them any bigger I'd have to get on roids to use 'em.

:D

6. tiedeman

tiedeman LawnSite Fanatic
    from earth

already tried the the roids MTD. Too bad I was randomly tested by the MLB and was caught. There goes my homeruns

7. gogetter

gogetter Banned

I've used aerators and I know they're a bear to use. But I haven't run a power rake though. They just look a lot smaller and lighter then an aerator. Doesn't look like there's much to them.

Oh well, if I have a need for a larger one, I guess I'll have to try to find a tow behind to rent.

Of course, I also need something to tow it with :D

Ahhhh, the list never ends!:cry:

8. locutus

locutus LawnSite Bronze Member
    from NC

Ever had one dig in and get away from you? AT 36" once it dug in, you could wave goodby to it.

9. mtdman

mtdman LawnSite Gold Member

My power rake, or dethatcher, whatever, weighs about 200 lbs. If you are doing a nice flat yard, it's fine. If that thing catches on a root or uneven area, it'll take off from you and get away. Using that thing is a real workout. I wouldn't want a big 36 inch one. Mine is about 24inches wide, I think.

My aerator, that thing is a beast. It's fine if you're in the open. Get a small lawn with lots of turns, you'll wear out fast.