Lawn Care Forum banner

Why California

2K views 13 replies 7 participants last post by  INTEGRA Bespoke Lighting 
#1 ·
Does anyone know why Southern California is home to so many lighting manufacturers?

It doesn't make much sense to me really... If I were going to be building a line of electrical appliances that are intended to be installed outdoors, I would want the benefit of the experience and knowledge that comes with my designers and staff living in wet, cold, humid, and stormy climates. :laugh:

Can you tell I'm bored? :laugh:

I am sitting here today with the diesel generator chugging away keeping us warm, hydrated (we have a deep well), well fed, etc after a big wind storm knocked out power to Central Ontario - 100,000+ without power now, could be a couple of days before we are back online.

#2 ·
same thing thing with high performance auto parts its seem most of the makers of those parts are in ohio

#4 ·
I think a lot of it has to do with where there is a lighting NEED. California is mild all year long. More outdoor time to provide recreation. There are a lot of estates and larger properties that can afford it too. I happen to be in a older area of NJ, with smaller homes (lot sizes 50x100 - 75x125) Not much landscape to light up. Unless you go where the new subdivisions are, or more north, most properties aren't lit up. All the towns have street lights, and nearby cities illuminate the night sky, so it's never really that dark. My house is the only home with exterrior lighting for two miles.

#6 ·
James,

It's all those goofball rich far left hippies seeking acid trip like special FX in their back yards.
Ahhh now I understand it better Mike!

Good thing your Country has the East Coast, so that there is some semblance of balance there!

E :walking: W

#7 ·
James,

It's all those goofball rich far left hippies seeking acid trip like special FX in their back yards.
NOT!

It's more likely to do with the availability of talented machinists and materials that ties to the aerospace industry, but the growth of the market there has more to do with year-round outdoor living with lots of BBQs and swimming pools, many who work or commute such long hours that they're home to enjoy their yards only at night, and that competitive keeping up with the Joneses thing...

My brother used to renovate or remodel homes in the Hollywood hills and Palm Springs, and I landscaped and lit a half dozen of those for him... lots of interesting plants to light too... large tropical leaves of Giant Bird Of Paradise is especially nice, various palms, etc. Also, many of these homes were actually smaller and older, but elegant. Often the owners had no kids, and did a lot of entertaining.

#9 ·
NOT!

It's more likely to do with the availability of talented machinists and materials that ties to the aerospace industry, but the growth of the market there has more to do with year-round outdoor living with lots of BBQs and swimming pools, many who work or commute such long hours that they're home to enjoy their yards only at night, and that competitive keeping up with the Joneses thing...

My brother used to renovate or remodel homes in the Hollywood hills and Palm Springs, and I landscaped and lit a half dozen of those for him... lots of interesting plants to light too... large tropical leaves of Giant Bird Of Paradise is especially nice, various palms, etc. Also, many of these homes were actually smaller and older, but elegant. Often the owners had no kids, and did a lot of entertaining.
Gregg where is all that great lighting in Palm Springs? On both of my occassions to visit PS I walked around (Once wayyyy too much!) and all I ever saw in terms of outdoor lighting were those gawd awful, black, aluminum, CF, soft floods. They are everywhere! Like an epidemic, just horrible. I have always thought that a really strong LV lighting guy would make a killing in Palm Springs. Heck, even the NS rep for the area said there were no strong players in that market.

If it werent for my family, my business, my citizenship, my loyalties, beliefs, convictions, and a few other reasons, I would be heading to PS to open up a shop in a heart beat. All those huge villas in the hills, the commercial properties alone could keep one busy for a lifetime.

Regards.

#11 ·

If it wasn't for my family, my business, my citizenship, my loyalties, beliefs, convictions, and a few other reasons, I would be heading to PS to open up a shop in a heart beat

If it wasn't for everyone's nuts freezing together, the US would buy everything west of the Ottawa river off the French Canadians in Quebec.

:)
Hey Mike... West of the Ottawa river is Ontario and predominantly english speaking. Quebec is East of the Ottawa river and for a nice price, you can have it! :laugh:

E :walking: W

#12 ·
Gregg where is all that great lighting in Palm Springs? On both of my occassions to visit PS I walked around (Once wayyyy too much!) and all I ever saw in terms of outdoor lighting were those gawd awful, black, aluminum, CF, soft floods. They are everywhere! Like an epidemic, just horrible. I have always thought that a really strong LV lighting guy would make a killing in Palm Springs. Heck, even the NS rep for the area said there were no strong players in that market.

If it werent for my family, my business, my citizenship, my loyalties, beliefs, convictions, and a few other reasons, I would be heading to PS to open up a shop in a heart beat. All those huge villas in the hills, the commercial properties alone could keep one busy for a lifetime.

Regards.
There are some heavy hitters in Palm Springs. I worked on quite a few really nice projects in Palm Desert and Indio up the road from Palm Springs. A lot of the jobs are done behind gates in private clubs and communities.

#13 ·
West of the Ottawa river is Ontario and predominantly english speaking. Quebec is East of the Ottawa river and for a nice price, you can have it!

No kidding, that's why we only want the west side. Are they still thinking about dividing? That really cracked me up. Only problem for US, we can't afford any land purchases until if/when our dollar catches up.

#14 ·
Mike, the Quebec Separatists are pretty much quiet these days. I am sure the old guard still exists, but the Political will to separate from Canada no longer seems popular with the majority.

I don't think the plan was ever to 'sell' the land to the USA. LOL it was a lot more complicated then that.

Regrads.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.