Lawn Care Forum banner
41 - 60 of 87 Posts
Find the fs 90's at the little old mans tagsales for 50$. That's what I do. I hate the four mix's. Have 4 from 2010-2011 that are broken with bad carbs/valves.
Posted via Mobile Device
Bad carb equals bad 4mix engine...got it.
Posted via Mobile Device

One Husky doesn't prove much. As a whole, they are every bit as good as Stihl and RM, and many of us feel they are better. You'll find far more posts on LS about Stihls (and even RM these days) giving problems than you will any about Husky. That said, I have not had any trouble from any of my 4 mix stuff........yet.Thumbs Up
You hear about more problems with those two brands because the number of them out in the field is much higher than any other brands.
Posted via Mobile Device

You hear about more problems with those two brands because the number of them out in the field is much higher than any other brands.
Posted via Mobile Device
That may be true, but there's enough Shindy (I know they're even starting to have problems now), Echo, Husky, Kawi, etc., owned by members of this board that if they were having anywhere near as many troubles as guys are with 4 mix equipment, we'd be hearing about it more than we do.

It is just hard to judge a brand now days. They were scrambling to meet emissions. Back in the 90s, they were all producing top of the line stuff. I know that I had bought hundreds of Shindaiwa pieces, and thought that they were always going to be the best. Then I got a hold of 3 8510 back packs... All blew up in less than 2 months. I was just blowing and BAM! 3 different blowers... Its just really sad what the EPA has done. They will get better though, I hope. If the EPA keeps us at this level for a decade, they will start bringing out awesome stuff. It has to be hard for them to want to invest in something that they could be forced to discontinue shortly after...

It is just hard to judge a brand now days. They were scrambling to meet emissions. Back in the 90s, they were all producing top of the line stuff. I know that I had bought hundreds of Shindaiwa pieces, and thought that they were always going to be the best. Then I got a hold of 3 8510 back packs... All blew up in less than 2 months. I was just blowing and BAM! 3 different blowers... Its just really sad what the EPA has done. They will get better though, I hope. If they EPA keeps us at this lever for a decade, they will start bringing out awesome stuff. It has to be hard for them to want to invest in something that they could be forced to discontinue shortly after...
Very true.
Hey, does that green BH resist having to run behind that blue CUT?:laugh:

that's funny...i felt like i was the only one who noticed the torque on the new stihls...my company has broken over $2,000 worth of glass in the last 1.5 years, and i blame it all on the torque of the stihls and the fact that you simply can't feather the throttle...and when you are trimming and see a rock at the last second and let go of the throttle, it will launch the rock right through the window without hesitation, where a true 2 stroke would instantly lose power when you let go, or if you do hit something it loses power...the stihl wraps the string around anything it can, whether that be a rock, a pole, a tree, etc...i was weedeating today acutally and hit some sort of small metal pole in the lawn and literally sat there and waited a few seconds for it to stop biting as it revved down...we bought a husky a month or so ago and it definitely feels like a trimmer should...it's gonna be a tough decision on what we do next year, stihl dealer is here in town and not to mention awesome, and the husky dealer is 30 minutes away

I have been considering a new trimmer since I have had a bad experience with redmax. I have the BCZ2460S and lets just say it sounds like it has a bottom end issue (rattles/metalish sound) at high rpms and I've checked the muffler for loose baffles and checked about everything on the trimmer that I can check to see what the noise is and it all leads to a bad bearing in the bottom end. I have tried to deal with the dealer I got it from and they don't really have a desire to make it right without money involved to even check out the machine and getting ahold of redmax is harder than it seems. No contact info on their website and the dealer finally gave me a number and its hard to get a hold of someone. I always run synthetic 50:1 with 93 octane no ethanol fuel and its just frustrating that a trimmer less than 5 months old is giving me issue.

I forgot to mention that it sounds like its running extremely lean when held regular but when you turn it upside down it sounds a little better. Blame the EPA. If there was a screw on the carb to adjust the high speed and low speed I could fix it but there's not =/.

The newer two stroke stuff just isn't as good as it used to be. I've been leaning towards the FS90R but am scared to try a 4 mix trimmer since its all new to me.

EPA sucks!

.... been leaning towards the FS90R but am scared to try a 4 mix trimmer since its all new to me.

If I handed one to you, and didn't tell you it was a four cycle, you may use it for weeks, months, perhaps longer, without knowing. I know this to be the case -- people having bought 4-mix products, and used it for a long time without realizing. Yes, the audio is a bit different, but can easily be missed. A user may realize it does not use as much fuel, but maybe not. They may realize it starts easily, but may just attribute it to being a new unit.

People easily move from a candy-bar cell phone to a flip phone. Then they move to a screened phone. Soon, they move to a smart phone. And, then move to a tablet computer, getting e-mail, processing credit card transactions. All these changes seemed to be in stride, although the changes are very significant. Yet, when having a handheld with a new name, but doing the same task, the antennae of disruption rises high.

this is why I run true 4 stroke trimmers instead of these half breeds. ....
Please explain. "... true 4 stroke ..." Each cycle of the engine: Intake, Compression, Power, Exhaust. There is no "half breeding" on these cycles. They are the same, whether it be a single cylinder Kohler, a 3.5hp B & S, or the engine in your vehicle. Each has piston, intake, valves, exhaust, fuel mixing mechanism. Yes, some of the more sophisticated 4 strokes have multiple valves on the intake and/or exhaust, the the principles are exactly the same. The internal combustion engine hasn't changed in basic physics for a long time. Yes, some of the surrounding elements have changed (e.g. carbs, EFI, DFI, etc). But, the cycles in a 4 stroke are still the same.

Please explain. "... true 4 stroke ..." Each cycle of the engine: Intake, Compression, Power, Exhaust. There is no "half breeding" on these cycles. They are the same, whether it be a single cylinder Kohler, a 3.5hp B & S, or the engine in your vehicle. Each has piston, intake, valves, exhaust, fuel mixing mechanism. Yes, some of the more sophisticated 4 strokes have multiple valves on the intake and/or exhaust, the the principles are exactly the same. The internal combustion engine hasn't changed in basic physics for a long time. Yes, some of the surrounding elements have changed (e.g. carbs, EFI, DFI, etc). But, the cycles in a 4 stroke are still the same.
The 4 mix is a two stroke of a sort. Depends on who you ask but I get different feed back from different dealers on what these hand helds are classified and they do seem to be a hybred.

The 4 mix is a two stroke of a sort. .
With four distinctive parts in the cycle, how can it be a "two stroke of sort?" I see nothing in the operation of a 4-mix design that has any hint of being a two stroke engine.

I don't doubt that dealers are telling unsuspecting customers that it is a two-stroke. I can even verify this. While standing in line at the local Stihl dealer, the man in front of me had just bought an FS90R trimmer. He explained the mixed fuel requirement. And, in the process, said something to the effect that it is a two-cycle. I could not keep quiet, "... this is a four cycle engine." The salesman sneered and ignored. He knew good and well he was deceiving the customer, not wanting to place any doubt in the customer's mind.

When the unsuspecting customer left with FS90R in hand, and I stepped to the counter, I said "you lied to that man." He chose to talk about "mixed fuel." I stated to him that mixed fuel only was the lubrication system of the engine, but having nothing to do with the combustion cycles. He walked away, and somebody else helped me with my order.

I think the man knew what he was doing, but chose to lie. So, a dealer telling somebody "two cycle of sorts," he/she is doing the same thing, not wanting to kill a sale. Combustion cycle designs are independent of lubrication system.

With four distinctive parts in the cycle, how can it be a "two stroke of sort?" I see nothing in the operation of a 4-mix design that has any hint of being a two stroke engine.

I don't doubt that dealers are telling unsuspecting customers that it is a two-stroke. I can even verify this. While standing in line at the local Stihl dealer, the man in front of me had just bought an FS90R trimmer. He explained the mixed fuel requirement. And, in the process, said something to the effect that it is a two-cycle. I could not keep quiet, "... this is a four cycle engine." The salesman sneered and ignored. He knew good and well he was deceiving the customer, not wanting to place any doubt in the customer's mind.

When the unsuspecting customer left with FS90R in hand, and I stepped to the counter, I said "you lied to that man." He chose to talk about "mixed fuel." I stated to him that mixed fuel only was the lubrication system of the engine, but having nothing to do with the combustion cycles. He walked away, and somebody else helped me with my order.

I think the man knew what he was doing, but chose to lie. So, a dealer telling somebody "two cycle of sorts," he/she is doing the same thing, not wanting to kill a sale. Combustion cycle designs are independent of lubrication system.
You looked at it more than me but please name one other 4 stroke design in production that does not use crank case oil?

41 - 60 of 87 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.