Lawn Care Forum banner
61 - 80 of 87 Posts
You looked at it more than me but please name one other 4 stroke design in production that does not use crank case oil?
Whoa!!! What does lubrication system have to do with combustion design? These are mutually exclusive. Sump lubrication and vapor lubrication are both uncoupled from the combustion design.

When you took physics classes and learned the basics of internal combustion engines, was the lubrication system part of the discussion? I think not.

Okay, I wasn't going to get involved here but my god you have it all wrong people!

First off, when you say "feather" the throttle, I assume you mean light on throttle, and on my KM110r, I can make it so it just engages the clutch, and have no problem trimming WITHOUT full throttle. Maybe you run the standard round crap, but I use a triangle shaped line and it cuts great. Most of the work I do is not even at half throttle unless I am doing thick brush.

Second of all, the 4Mix is simply a vapor lubed 4 stroke, and you mention finding other ones without oil in the crankcase? I direct you to one of my old hobbies, RC cars. Planes have 4 stroke engines, and they DO NOT use oil in the crank case at all. Like Roger said, 4 stroke and 2 stroke refer ONLY to how many strokes of the piston, not oil systems or anything else.

Thirdly, I grease my head every so often. I check it when I have some extra time and remember, and if it needs some, I add a little grease. I ended up replacing my FS90r with a KM110r for the attachments, but my 1 year old FS90r still runs great but it is a little hard starting at times, but I think it might just need a new plug or a quick valve adjustment.

And lastly, I wouldn't run anything but Stihl either. I love the sheer power of my KM110r (even though it is the middle model, and a KM130r is better), and I love that the fuel tank lasts me around an hour of full throttle use. I love that I have the benefits of a 4 stroke like the high torque, better sound (subjective but I love the sound of my trimmers), and I never need to worry about changing the oil!

Please explain. "... true 4 stroke ..." Each cycle of the engine: Intake, Compression, Power, Exhaust. There is no "half breeding" on these cycles. They are the same, whether it be a single cylinder Kohler, a 3.5hp B & S, or the engine in your vehicle. Each has piston, intake, valves, exhaust, fuel mixing mechanism. Yes, some of the more sophisticated 4 strokes have multiple valves on the intake and/or exhaust, the the principles are exactly the same. The internal combustion engine hasn't changed in basic physics for a long time. Yes, some of the surrounding elements have changed (e.g. carbs, EFI, DFI, etc). But, the cycles in a 4 stroke are still the same.
His choice of wording was inaccurate. He should have said "traditional" four stroke like those from Honda, Ryobi, etc., but then you new that already didn't you.;)

His choice of wording was inaccurate. He should have said "traditional" four stroke like those from Honda, Ryobi, etc., but then you new that already didn't you.;)
Don't matter, he is wrong on the internet! :laugh:

Okay, I wasn't going to get involved here but my god you have it all wrong people!

First off, when you say "feather" the throttle, I assume you mean light on throttle
No, that's not what we mean by feathering the throttle. With a 2 stroke design, you can simply start squeezing harder and harder on the throttle trigger to gain more and more power (or the same going the opposite way). With the Stihl 4 mix, you can only squeeze just so much before there's a sudden and unwanted major jump in power (or again, a major drop off in power). That's far from ideal for trimming, and my only real complaint about the 4 mix.

Hmm, mine seems to be consistent through the throttle, I will have to see when I am using it again.

I currently use a 5-year old Echo SRM-230. It's been a great trimmer. I just installed a new fuel filter, fuel lines, vent, and primer bulb. The machine looks like a piece of trash, but mechanically it runs perfect.
I would have to agree with the statement that Kawasaki makes great 2-stroke equipment. I currently am in the market for a stick edger and will likely purchase a Kawasaki from my local dealer. I don't know that Echo engines (Kioritz, really) are of the same build quality today as they were 5 years ago.

Whoa!!! What does lubrication system have to do with combustion design? These are mutually exclusive. Sump lubrication and vapor lubrication are both uncoupled from the combustion design.

When you took physics classes and learned the basics of internal combustion engines, was the lubrication system part of the discussion? I think not.
Particularly since the Physics classes I took were about hydraulics and power transmission not power creation.

Please elaborate. What is broken? How many service hours? How did you do the diagnosis?
They don't have hour meters so idk most last two seasons . It's the valves and carbs but carbs mostly.
Posted via Mobile Device

They don't have hour meters so idk most last two seasons . It's the valves and carbs but carbs mostly.
Posted via Mobile Device
And tell me why a carb on a two stroke would last longer?
Posted via Mobile Device

4mix engines suck... just get over it
Highly educated response...

Yeah I know...5 years of use on two of mine, one carb rebuild and a warranty coil. Two years use one my other 3...yeah, they suck that bad.
Posted via Mobile Device

Highly educated response...

Yeah I know...5 years of use on two of mine, one carb rebuild and a warranty coil. Two years use one my other 3...yeah, they suck that bad.
Posted via Mobile Device
Posted via Mobile Device

Thats not bad at all.

I'll tell you one area that the 4 mix engines excel- with the pole pruner attachment. I was using mine tonight on some 4" birch. With all that torque, it walked right through it easy peasy. I use my FS90 for everything but a trimmer. I like the lightweight Husky 223L for almost all my trimming needs, but if I have to cut some really thick, long, tough weedy grass, the 90 excels there too.

Few things here.

First stop blaming the EPA. They are keeping us and our future generations much healthier through their regulations. You cant really tell me that you feel using a beast of a two stroke trimmer is more important than keeping your daughter cancer free. Educate yourselves...

Blame the equipment manufacturers. They are the ones that are keeping their profits high by using old dirty tech instead of putting $$$ into their R&D departments to find a cleaner more powerful technology. Have you looked at the auto industry over the past 10 years? The ford Mustang has gone from a 260 horsepower/20 mpg sports car to a 420hp/24mpg sports car... WTF??? Technology, get over the old ways!

Here's a cocaine addict explaining the throttle difference between a Stihl 2 stroke (fs250)and a 4mix (fs130). He killed a rabbit with a stick he launched with his 4mix it has so much torque and cuts snakes in halve with his 2 strokes... dudes a pro.

Also a 4 mix is a 4 stroke, there are 4 distinct and separate actions the engine takes to make power. Intake/power stroke/combustion/exhaust.

Will you folks not calling the 4mix a 4 stroke be saying diesels arent an internal combustion engine because there are no spark plugs? Educate yourselves!

Here's a cocaine addict explaining the throttle difference between a Stihl 2 stroke (fs250)and a 4mix (fs130). He killed a rabbit with a stick he launched with his 4mix it has so much torque and cuts snakes in halve with his 2 strokes... dudes a pro.

He is a little wound up, is he not? He acts like an expert but he can't even pronounce Stihl correctly. It's steel, not still.

Few things here.

First stop blaming the EPA. They are keeping us and our future generations much healthier through their regulations. You cant really tell me that you feel using a beast of a two stroke trimmer is more important than keeping your daughter cancer free. Educate yourselves...

Blame the equipment manufacturers. They are the ones that are keeping their profits high by using old dirty tech instead of putting $$$ into their R&D departments to find a cleaner more powerful technology. Have you looked at the auto industry over the past 10 years? The ford Mustang has gone from a 260 horsepower/20 mpg sports car to a 420hp/24mpg sports car... WTF??? Technology, get over the old ways!

Also a 4 mix is a 4 stroke, there are 4 distinct and separate actions the engine takes to make power. Intake/power stroke/combustion/exhaust.

Will you folks not calling the 4mix a 4 stroke be saying diesels arent an internal combustion engine because there are no spark plugs? Educate yourselves!
The EPA is nothing more than another branch of the government that has it's hand in our pockets. They are strangling our economy and making it all but impossible for any company out there to make a quality product because they change the regs as soon as anyone can meet their rules. They may have started off as a good idea, but they have become as greedy and corrupt as any big business. They are only there now to protect the governments interests, not ours.

Few things here.

Although I agree with many of your points, I don't really agree with you about the EPA. Another over funded govt entitity much like the ATF...I do agree that sometimes we need a little regulation (most folks are not self regulating) they have become over bearing at this point because the left thinks we are destroying the world with hydrocarbons...ethanol is a good example...you pay for it at the pump and at the grocery store with higher food prices.
Posted via Mobile Device

The 4 mix is a two stroke of a sort. Depends on who you ask but I get different feed back from different dealers on what these hand helds are classified and they do seem to be a hybred.
The only thing a 4 mix shares with its 2 stroke counterpart I mixed fuel Deukster, same basic parts as your mower engines just a different way of lubricating. The reason for this type of lubrication is that it requires less maintenance, it's lighter and it allows the engine to run upside down. I know the Hondas with a sump can run upside down, but they have a lubrication system that is a little more complicated.
Posted via Mobile Device

61 - 80 of 87 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.