1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Catch up on the conversation with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns in the Franchising forum plus sign up to receive a FREE eBook on how to grow your landscape business.

Dismiss Notice

Why do you guys buy Brand New Trucks?

Discussion in 'Trucks and Trailers' started by zz4guy, Oct 29, 2007.

1. zz4guy

zz4guy LawnSite Senior Member

You loose so much money driving off the lot. I can't figure it out. I've considered it myself. I could get the financing, but... why?? Doesn't make sense to me.

It would be nice to have the warranties, but I can pay for a lot of service after I save 50% of $35000.

Anybody want to explain the new truck reasoning to me?

2. Bandit 1

Bandit 1 LawnSite Member

that new truck smell

3. Raven386

Raven386 LawnSite Silver Member
    from CT

for me, i know no one else beat on the truck. dont have to worry if someone did the maintenance on it. apperance has a lot to do with it too. people see it everyday i wouldnt want a old beat up truck blowing smoke and backfiring in front my house. but most importantly, were in the truck 8 hours a day, i want to be comfortable.

4. nobagger

nobagger LawnSite Gold Member
    from Pa

I looked high and low for a nice used truck a few years old, problem was they all wanted just about new truck prices. The one that stands out the most is, I went to look at a 2004 F250SD xlt 4x4 it was nice and clean,had around 70,000 for mileage....asking price was around 22-24000.00;) there were several more I looked at before I bought a new one. I paid 31k for a brand new F250SD xlt. Plus I plow for some very nice places and being the only one who plowed them I needed something dependable not some one's old headache.

5. Raven386

Raven386 LawnSite Silver Member
    from CT

well, buying a new ford is just kinda pointless... its going to breakdown no matter if its new or old :laugh:

6. haybaler

haybaler LawnSite Senior Member
    from ma

so, wait, when do you work??

7. Petr51488

Petr51488 LawnSite Silver Member
    from NJ

Exaccccctly what i was going to say. You don't know how the last person drove it before you. You know when you buy new (99.9%) you get a new truck with 0 problems to worry about for at least 3 years (warranty) You take care of your truck, and it will take care of you.

8. zz4guy

zz4guy LawnSite Senior Member

I was looking for a used early 90s 3/4 ton and most dealers wanted $4-6k with 100k+ miles. Why is it so bad to get something like that? You could buy two trucks for that price and have a back up.

Eventually I found a 92 K2500 4x4 w/a new paint job for $2200 from a private owner. The A/C doesn't work, but other than that I've had zero problems since I bought it.

9. JB1

JB1 LawnSite Fanatic

because I want to and I can.

10. TWUllc

TWUllc LawnSite Senior Member

Peace of mind, & can afford to do so.