Why don't you guys wear respirators?

Discussion in 'Pesticide & Herbicide Application' started by nolo, Apr 25, 2018.

1. nolo

nolo LawnSite Member

I always see guys wearing rubber boots and gloves They usually wear long sleeve shirts and pants.

What about inhalation of liquid applied and granular (dust) herbicides, fungicides, and insecticides? Why isn't this more of a concern? I would think it would be an easier mode of transfer into the body.

Greencuts518 likes this.
  2. greendoctor

greendoctor LawnSite Fanatic

You should not be atomizing lawn applications into such a fine mist that inhalation becomes a hazard. Having said that, tree and shrub spraying is something I am careful of. Prior to the advent of systemic insecticides for lawns such as Arena and Merit, effective applications of Organophosphate insecticides involved pressures and volumes not used by modern lawn care operators. Imagine applying Diazinon at 10 gallons per 1000 sq ft at 400 PSI through a boom with disc-core nozzles. I did it 20 years ago and suffered no ill effects because I was conscious of fine mists generated. @Ric always talks about "Dursban twitch". That is nerve damage caused by inhaling or absorbing the old insecticides. I can picture operators not wearing gloves or rubber boots and respirators while spraying those types of chemicals. Unlike the new insecticides, they had to be applied multiple times a year in a warm season area.

hort101 likes this.
  3. TPendagast

TPendagast LawnSite Fanatic
    Male

Because droplets aren’t fine mists
    They are not airborne and you aren’t spraying them with high enough pressure.
    If you actually read the label it will tell you what Ppe to wear

By the time you’re in a space suit with self contained oxygen , people don’t want you applying whatever that radioactive crap is and chase you off the property, they don’t care if it cures cancer , get it out of here!
    So over the years, stuff that hot had mostly gone away

4. Yatt

Yatt LawnSite Member

I dunno. I look like spaceman visiting a radioactive site when I spray my orchard. Organophosphates are noting to trifle about.

Greencuts518 and hort101 like this.
  5. greendoctor

There is a good reason why Imidan, Guthion, and others are not allowed for landscape maintenance.

Yatt likes this.
  6. Yatt

Yatt LawnSite Member

I just bought a bunch of orchard supplies this week including Imidan. I took my truck because I don't even want that stuff inside a vehicle with me. One time I had my SUV and was golfing but I stopped and got some Imidan because I was out. We doubled bagged in plastic and knotted the unopened bag of Imidan. I couldn't hardly stand the smell on the way home.

The new wonder spray is Wrangler which is very concentrated Imadacloporid. For orchard use the rate is 3 oz per acre equivalent of foliage. It is not labeled for turf but it sure sounds a lot more inexpensive than what you pay for Imadacloporid in Merit for grub control. Was an incredibly good product too for most bugs.

7. greendoctor

You are lucky to be still alive to tell. OP insecticides are also rather volatile. The vapors are enough to kill things. Before the revised labeling, Dimethoate was allowed for use in production nurseries with a 48 hour REI. Apparently, that was not long enough. I used to use it under that labeling. You could still smell it a week later. Current REI is 14 days. At least once a year, someone sprays Malathion upwind from a school on one of those humid and almost windless days. School is evacuated and the HAZMAT team ends up washing down the yard where the Malathion was applied.

8. 1337david

1337david LawnSite Member

I wear a mask when I spray. 99% of my spraying is out of my zspray at 40 psi with AI110025 tips. Even on calm days I can still taste it on my tongue after a couple yards. It's kinda like a bad aftertaste of something. When I wear a mask I can never taste it. To me that alone makes it worth wearing. Who knows what it is doing to our insides.

*Important*

The labels do not require a mask because they all usually say to only spray in perfect conditions (2-10mph winds with low air inversion). So if you follow that exactly then by their metrics you do not need a mask. But here in the real world where we have like 10 days a year that fit that description you are going potentially have drift. Any time you have drift you are inhaling chemical. So use your best judgment.

Greencuts518, Burnie and hort101 like this.
  9. greendoctor

I have seen guys wearing respirators drift the likes of Triclopyr killing everything downwind of them. They could not smell or taste the fine mists they were creating, but the trees and shrubs sure knew about the drift. This is the very reason why I dislike low volume applications and the devices advertised to apply them. A low volume application either splatters big drops far apart or else is spraying an extremely fine mist. Let me tell you something about Honolulu, Hawaii. We have a 12 month grass and weed growing season. There is not a month I can think of when the wind is less than 10 MPH. If there is an individual day when the wind is less than 10 MPH, it is either raining or about to rain. Therefore, I normally apply through a boom at 1 gallon per 1000 sq ft. If it is 10 MPH or higher, volume goes up to 2 gallons per 1000 sq ft. Next thing to consider is travel speed. If one is traveling fast, say 5-10 MPH, that speed is added to whatever wind you have. I know AI tips will do a great job controlling drift at wind speeds up to 15 MPH. If you already have a 15 MPH wind and your travel speed is 5 MPH, that is a total speed of 20 MPH at the tip. I do not expect an AI tip to control drift under that condition. Especially if the spray rig is set up to apply less than 40 gallons per acre.

10. wildstarblazer

wildstarblazer LawnSite Bronze Member

Is not 1 gallon per 1000K low volume?