Why I sold my skid .......... And bought Tractors

Discussion in 'Tractors' started by Mdirrigation, Feb 12, 2016.

1. Mark Oomkes

Mark Oomkes LawnSite Fanatic

I've had a chance to use my 1025 with loader now, handy as can be, especially on larger accounts. But, if I had to pick between the 2 for landscaping...Dingo is the winner hands down. Visibility, ease of on and off, ability to get into tight areas; shoot I'll throw plywood all day to protect turf over using the tractor.

PLLandscape likes this.
  2. gcbailey

gcbailey LawnSite Silver Member
    from WV

Is the new Dingo the only mini skid that will dump into a 20yd dumpster?

3. Mdirrigation

Mdirrigation LawnSite Gold Member

All depends on the height of the 20 yard can , You can get a long and short , or a short one that is tall .

4. Mdirrigation

The dingos are nice machines , but would I want to stand on the back of one for 8 hour moving dirt , no way . I am sitting on my seat , with my drink holder turning power steering and using my hydrostat trans on my tractor .

5. gcbailey

gcbailey LawnSite Silver Member
    from WV

Meant to say 30 yd.... I think about all the 20 yds around here that you can get around here are 22x7.5x4ish.... I believe the 30yds are the same LxW but about 6' high.

6. brichter14

brichter14 LawnSite Senior Member

If you have a fast and efficient machine you dont have to take 8 hours to move dirt.

Most of the new machines have an 80" plus hinge pin height.

7. PLLandscape

PLLandscape LawnSite Bronze Member

If I had to move dirt 8 hours a day it would likely be with a monster skid steer and likely an excavator. Typical tractor type work such as brush, aerating, cutting, etc.... is 8hrs a day in a seat. With the softscape installs I do it's probably only a couple/few hours of actual machine work so standing honestly isn't that bad. Plus I feel I'm constantly on and off the machine so the stand on platform is gold for that. The tractor would definitely help with the heavier work on installs but the dingo would likely do it better.

Now if I could find the tractors for the deals you did I'd sure buy it to get some sort of machine to do work. But the only 4-5k tractors I can find are late 80's. If a decent tractor is going to run me $20-$25k it probably makes sense to up it to the cost to the dingo type machine. An excavator is one handy piece too, especially with a thumb.

It's like the walk behind vs ztr mower. They shine in different areas but each has their place.

hort101 likes this.
  8. Mdirrigation

I may have another tractor coming this friday . less than 5 grand , 450 hours , loader , backhoe , homeowner owned john deere

9. PLLandscape

PLLandscape LawnSite Bronze Member

You've got the golden touch for deals.....

10. Mdirrigation

Its keeping your eyes and ears open and having contacts . And some dumb luck .