Why I sold my skid .......... And bought Tractors

Discussion in 'Tractors' started by Mdirrigation, Feb 12, 2016.

1. knox gsl

knox gsl LawnSite Fanatic

And available cash.

2. TPendagast

TPendagast LawnSite Fanatic
    Male

"The landscape tractor" was a thing before the skidsteer caught popularity

Back in the day, when I got my CLT you had a choice between showing proficiency running a landscape tractor or skid steer.

The tractor with a bucket on the front and a Harley rake/power box rake/soil conditioner on the back will run rings around a skidsteer doing a lawn install
    So much so, you really only need one guy (the operator) to the the job.

They just aren't that popular anymore

3. Mdirrigation

Mdirrigation LawnSite Gold Member

true that

4. PLLandscape

PLLandscape LawnSite Bronze Member

I'll add this. Today I started a shed pad job that needed a bit of excavation to make it even. Nothing crazy. I was going to rent a dingo but the customer let me use his smal JD tractor. Probably one of the 20ish hp units.

That was a pain in the rear. I couldn't see the bucket angle (yes I can see the alignment rod) and it either dug too deep or not at all. Impossible to fit in the spaces I needed. Always doing 400 point turns. It was miserable. That dingo would've done it much faster. Sure, you can say operator error, I say it's not made for that type of work.

This is the type of work I want to be doing so the tractor is likely out of the equation. If I was doing more 3pt work then it would be awesome. It was very turf friendly and smooth. Maybe a heavier, larger tractor would've been better but that defeats the purpose of a small machine. I'm also much faster moving dirt in a dingo for sure. The cycles and speed are no comparison.

I'll have to look at the used market next year see I can catch a low hour unit or put more money down on a new one.

marne likes this.
  5. Mdirrigation

That all comes with practice . My bucket level rod is gone dont need it anymore . you probably didnt have teeth on the bucket , makes a big difference . did you have an implement on the back ? if not there is a big part of the problem , with out the weight on the rear the tractor is only at 50% . Cycles on a tractor are slower but you can adjust to that . i like a grade box with ripper teeth , loosen up the dirt ,pull it into a pile level as you go , loader to move dirt . Just like any machine , you have to get the feel for it

gcbailey likes this.
  6. PLLandscape

I hear ya on all your points but I've operated both machines multiple times and the dingo, especially the TX1000, is just a more dominating machine without the need to have this or that to make it operate properly. The TX1000 is completely superior to its predecessors. I liked the other dingos but this one is just amazing.

I'm not bashing tractors as they have a ton of pro's. But the dingo and I'm sure similar mini skids are just that much better in the landscape construction world. Even a decent excavator could make a world difference on jobs.

The tractor is another tool in the ever growing list of landscpaing tools. I just don't think it would make sense at the moment.

7. Mdirrigation

The mini skids are nice , and they are pricy . On the used market they are just like tractors , if they are 5 years old and in good shape , they bring almost as much as they cost new 5 years ago . If they are cheap they generally need a lot of work . Good deals on minis are few and far between . Similar to tractors .Its generally word of mouth and you better be the first one there with cash in hand .

8. PLLandscape

Yea I hear ya on that.

Now to add more to this. I was at my brother in laws house the other day as he was doing some general work on his property. He was borrowing is brothers Kubota 45 excavator. Now that is too big and too $$$$$$ but man those things are handy as can be. I used a JD 35 during a tear out and install job and it was awesome.

You can excavate, load, move items, etc... Sure you can't move product like you can with a machine like a skid or even a tractor with a bucket but those machines are handy as can be. I'm more thinking on the construction end and not aerating, seeding, bush hog type of work. I mean the jobs I've been doing at this one house could be done easily with an excavator now that I'm thinking more and more about it. Especially the ones with the swing boom.

This landscape stuff is so equipment heavy it's a bit annoying, but so is renting stuff. I lose hours renting things, or skip on jobs due to it and it's tough to bill a $430/day delivered excavator to small jobs.

9. PLLandscape

I don't mean to bombard your thread. If you want me to I can take this to another.

10. knox gsl

knox gsl LawnSite Fanatic

I'm a lot like you and do this solo. Ideally I would like to have a mid sized mini skid and 1.5 ton miniX

PLLandscape likes this.