Why no backpack trimmers?

Keith

LawnSite Platinum Member
I think about this every time I am using a heavy extended reach hedge trimmer in the middle of the hot, humid summer. Wouldn't it be much nicer to have the weight of the engine strapped to your back? It's already an uncomfortable position to be holding something. But the sheer weight of it wears me out. It sure would be nice to knock a few pounds off of it.

I know Tanaka makes a backpack brushcutter, but isn't available in the US. Mickhippy has a video of it on Youtube.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QTL0-JCPh1Q

As a standalone it's not something I need. But if you made it a multi-tool where you could have your string trimmer on it, head back to the trailer without turning it off and change to your edger, then your hedge trimmer, I think it would be a pretty nice setup. I know there is a cheap Chinese version of this, but I'm talking about a manufacturer of quality tools making something like this.

Gilmore.Landscaping

LawnSite Senior Member
You can always get a shoulder strap for string trimmers.

I think the logistics of a flexible shaft to connect to the motor get quite complicated. Probably can't handle as much power either
Posted via Mobile Device

OP
Keith

Keith

LawnSite Platinum Member
String trimmers aren't really an issue for me. I'd buy it if it was nothing more than an extended reach hedge trimmer. But to make it worth the expense, marketing it as a multi-tool would make more sense. For someone string trimming more than an hour at a time or edging a mile of sidewalk, it would be equally as useful. Throw in an extended reach chainsaw attachment for it too.

As far as the flex shaft handling the power, I think the Tanaka brush cutter is about 2hp. It's been years and years, but Stihl used to make one.

Last edited:
OP
Keith

Keith

LawnSite Platinum Member
Actually it looks like Stihl builds them now, or at least have in recent years. Just not in the US market.

mowerman90

LawnSite Bronze Member
Sounds like you're getting "old" like me Keith! Your solution is to hire someone younger to do the "dirty work" :)

cgaengineer

LawnSite Fanatic
Actually it looks like Stihl builds them now, or at least have in recent years. Just not in the US market.
I guess they think people in the USA don't mind lugging equipment in their hands all day.
Posted via Mobile Device

wyadra

LawnSite Member
I've got a tanaka backpack sum50, great machine. I only have the polesaw attachment for it. I asked at the dealer if I could get a hedger attachment and I could, but it would void the warranty. Reason is the action of the hedger jars the flexible shaft. I sometimes think it might be worth the risk if I only used it on light hedges. When using it for tree work it certainly increases productivity a lot because there is no weight on the arms. I live in Oz...

ALEX'S LANDSCAPING

LawnSite Senior Member
I think about this every time I am using a heavy extended reach hedge trimmer in the middle of the hot, humid summer. Wouldn't it be much nicer to have the weight of the engine strapped to your back? It's already an uncomfortable position to be holding something. But the sheer weight of it wears me out. It sure would be nice to knock a few pounds off of it

I know Tanaka makes a backpack brushcutter, but isn't available in the US. Mickhippy has a video of it on Youtube.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QTL0-JCPh1Q

As a standalone it's not something I need. But if you made it a multi-tool where you could have your string trimmer on it, head back to the trailer without turning it off and change to your edger, then your hedge trimmer, I think it would be a pretty nice setup. I know there is a cheap Chinese version of this, but I'm talking about
manufacturer of quality tools making something like this.[/QUOTE

Mickhippy is a member on Lawnsite so he could be able to tell you more about his Tanaka backpack brushcutter.
Posted via Mobile Device

Patriot Services

LawnSite Fanatic
Weight is weight. Having a hot running engine on your back isn't going to reduce fatigue in FL. I usually need to set the hedgers down every now and then to use my hands or to move something. I just don't see the backpack style useful in this business.
Posted via Mobile Device