Why No Break in Oil Change on Kohler

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing Equipment' started by Turf Tracer, Aug 13, 2018.

1. Turf Tracer

Turf Tracer LawnSite Platinum Member

have a couple Kohler ZT720’s now and noticed no recommended break in oil change. First and recurring at 100hrs.

Haven’t studied an engine manual for many years but don’t the Kaws always say first after 8hrs then recurring.

2. Ridin' Green

Ridin' Green LawnSite Fanatic
    Male, from Michigan

Most mowers with Kaw engines do say to change out at 8 and then every 100. B&S has a couple newer models that do not require any oil change, and believe it or not, it works quite well IME with one.

3. Walker56

Walker56 LawnSite Silver Member

From talking to an engineer at Kohler, they run their engines at the factory before shipment, thus no break in required. Kohler still recommends replacing the oil every 100 hours and the filter every 200. I will never get the logic behind that recommendation, especially on an air cooled engine.

sjessen, Harley08 and Ridin' Green like this.
  4. Turf Tracer

The B&S no oil change is because they Burn Oil. You have to constantly add oil.

Did not know Kohler ran them and broke them in. Will skip the usual 8hr change on this unit.

5. Ridin' Green

Male, from Michigan

Kohler doesn't run them 8 hours though. It is something on the order of 3/4 -1 1/2 they say.

All these engines are supposed to use a little oil for cooling etc, but the B&S no change engine I had never used a drop of oil. You can change it if you want, but you don't have to. It stayed very clean looking over the course of an entire season too. The air filters on them are far better than a normal small engine filter.

Harley08 and hort101 like this.
  6. Turf Tracer

Assuming they run them long enough to not recommend break in.

Probably change anyway. Cheap ins.

7. Walker56

Walker56 LawnSite Silver Member

We have the 23HP Kohler Command engines. We routinely get five thousand or more hours out of each engine. Oil Filter gets replaced each time the oil gets drained. I believe the key to longetivity on air cooled engines, is keeping the cooling fins free of debris. We blow the engines down twice a day with a backpack blower.

8. Ridin' Green

Male, from Michigan

I agree 100% I blow mine out after each lawn. Takes an extra 15 seconds.

hort101 and Harley08 like this.
  9. weeze

weeze LawnSite Fanatic

my kohler engine says break in oil change at 20hrs. that's when i did it. the oil was greenish in color when i drained it.

10. Harley08

Harley08 LawnSite Member

Same as the Briggs Vanguard 20hrs first oil change