Lawn Care Forum banner
41 - 47 of 47 Posts
The original post asked about productivity, from my demo's I expect at least a 10% savings on time. When we tried the mowers my guy's where turning in the same times with a 52" stander as compared to 60" ZTR riders. This was one day trials without being used to the machine's. The lawns being mowed were 1/4-1/2 acre homes on average that were flat with only the normal obstacles.

Someone else mentioned rutting. In my research I picked up a cheap Wright 36" Stander. While using it we did run into some trouble but it was a very wet year in my area. With that in mind does anyone know how to do the math on weight verses pressure per square inch applied by the tires?

For anyone interested I am going with the Grandstands. Scag was a close second but after comparing the two I think the Toro's will be a better choice.

The original post asked about productivity, from my demo's I expect at least a 10% savings on time. When we tried the mowers my guy's where turning in the same times with a 52" stander as compared to 60" ZTR riders. This was one day trials without being used to the machine's. The lawns being mowed were 1/4-1/2 acre homes on average that were flat with only the normal obstacles.

Someone else mentioned rutting. In my research I picked up a cheap Wright 36" Stander. While using it we did run into some trouble but it was a very wet year in my area. With that in mind does anyone know how to do the math on weight verses pressure per square inch applied by the tires?

For anyone interested I am going with the Grandstands. Scag was a close second but after comparing the two I think the Toro's will be a better choice.
If your guys can mow a 1/2 acre faster on a 52" stander than they can on a 60" ztr, they either dont know how to run a ztr or something is wrong with your ztr? Last season I had a Lazer Z and a Grandstand and the Lazer was way maore productive, it wasnt even close. Also if your gonna buy the Grandstand make sure you get a 2010.

If your guys can mow a 1/2 acre faster on a 52" stander than they can on a 60" ztr, they either dont know how to run a ztr or something is wrong with your ztr? Last season I had a Lazer Z and a Grandstand and the Lazer was way maore productive, it wasnt even close. Also if your gonna buy the Grandstand make sure you get a 2010.
I dont think he's too far off. I compared the productivity of 4 mowers on the same properties last year, Ferris 52" and 60", a great dane stander 52" and a grandstand 52"
The standers were by FAR more productive then even the 60" ztr deck. And I think it is mainly due to the fact that the standers are a lot more manuverable, you can see better, so you can go faster around obsticals etc...
I was seeing about a 10-15% increase in productivity with the dane over the ztr's, and the grandstand was about 5% greater than the dane. the toro seemed more balanced with weight on the drive tires, so sidehilling with it you could go faster than the dane or ztr's in more situations. And dont say I dont know how to run a ztr:hammerhead:
This spring it will be nothing but wb's for the little gates and standers. Can't justify the ztr as much anymore, its all about productivity. Someday if I get more jobs that demand a ztr, then maybe i'll get one, but for the jobs I have now, standers all the way!:drinkup:

Almost forgot.... could it be the other way around too? If you were mowing faster with your ztr then maybe you just didn't get the hang of the stander? (there was a bit of a learning curve) or something was wrong with the stander? I know my grandstand had some ground speed issues at first... just a thought

Almost forgot.... could it be the other way around too? If you were mowing faster with your ztr then maybe you just didn't get the hang of the stander? (there was a bit of a learning curve) or something was wrong with the stander? I know my grandstand had some ground speed issues at first... just a thought
My grandstand is 52" and goes 6mph my lazer is 60" and goes 10mph you do the math, the only place I found the grandstand to be as productice was on small condo units most of our lawns are very large so we dont care much for the standers they are way slower on the big lawns, even if they are just as productive on smaller lawns it still isnt worth it for because we dont do many lawns under a 1/2 acre.

i'm pretty sure mine does 8, but thats besides the point. I RARELY do 10 mph on any mower while actually mowing, and while going that fast, you have to slow down to turn. I know the math, and I didnt believe in the stander either. I found that I can do a lot more in a day with the grandstand vs. a ztr, and like I said earlier, manuvering it was a lot faster, which is probably where I picked up my time savings, maybe my lawns have more obsticals than yours? but I agree, if your mowing nonstop at 10mph with a 60" deck, your going to get more done than a 52" at 8mph. (or 6) I think I can also turn the grandstand faster, and at a higher speed than my ztr, so once you start figuring in all the variables....then do some math.

41 - 47 of 47 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.