1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Catch up on the conversation with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns in the Franchising forum plus sign up to receive a FREE eBook on how to grow your landscape business.

Dismiss Notice

Why so few standers?

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by blade cutter, Jan 6, 2010.

1. GravelyNut

GravelyNut LawnSite Bronze Member

We just had the new Scag V-Ride 36" and 52" at the shop. And found a few things we think need changed. We'll see how they do when the final production units get here. One thing to concider about them is that the V-Ride 52" will cost about $3K less than a similar Scag ZTR.

2. madness0827

madness0827 LawnSite Member

Hello, I am from the DC area too. I know all the big companies like Brickman have contacts with exmark. For ztr’s I have a scag wildcat and a couple toro's and exmarks (they are basically the same with different decks). My wildcat leaves a better cut but the toros and exmarks are faster. Standers are nice because they do not take up a lot room on the trailer, but since they are smaller it makes it more difficult to work on them. The hydro pumps are harder to get to, but saying this I am still looking into one because i can only fit two ztrs and one walk behind on my 18 foot trailer. So a 60 inch stander would be nice. Wright mowers are also based in of Maryland.

3. ed2hess

ed2hess LawnSite Fanatic

Changing hydro belt and replacing the hydro idler was very bad. Next time I am taking it to the dealer to put up on a fork lift. Replacing those pivot on the RH stander is going to be a *****. Ours has slop at 2000hrs point.

4. hmc610

hmc610 LawnSite Member
    from SW, MO

Hey Gravelynut what changes would you make on the V-ride?

5. Cummins343

Cummins343 LawnSite Silver Member
    from Kansas

Ehhh, I'm on the KS side of KC, so I don't know about MO.lol I don't see to many hustlers here. There are just a ton of standers.

6. ajeaajea

ajeaajea LawnSite Member

I have a wright and the thing runs like a beast.

7. br549oicu8

br549oicu8 LawnSite Bronze Member

I am also in Northeastern Kansas and see a ton of Standers out there. I have 5 of them and have been satisfied. We had a few Sentars a while back and my best description of them is a "BOAT ANCHOR"!
    The new Standers are more comfortable to use. I feel they are still overpriced, but they are very productive.

My 2 cents.....

8. MLAWCARE

MLAWCARE LawnSite Senior Member

I live in St. Louis and I dont think I have seen a hustler around here at all we have exmark, scag, ferris and toro thats all I ever see.

9. FastMan

FastMan LawnSite Senior Member

I thought very seriously of going with a stander. I tried both a grandstand, and wright zk. I found the grandstand poorly balanced. The zk was balanced perfectly, and handled like a dream; so quick and responsive. I really wanted to like the zk, but the cut was not up to par with toro, scag or exmark, and it bucked over rough ground like a rank bull. After agonizing long and hard over whether I could settle for the cut and ride compromises, I decided I couldn't, and I let the seasonal discount pass by. I'll be purchasing a Toro G3 this spring.

10. lifetree

lifetree LawnSite Fanatic

I absolutely agree !!