Why such cheap mowing?

Burnie

LawnSite Senior Member
Come to Florida if you want low balling. One MH park I do a lot of work in spraying (has over 1100 homes there, all nice St Aug lawns), the mowing companies are loco. The highest I have heard of is $45 a Month, one company (last I heard) was at $35 a Month, $30 if you paid 3 months in advance. These are around 3000 sq ft lawns. Wrap you head around that, figure 12 months @ $35 is $420 a year, divided by average of 38 cuts a year, that's $11.05 per cut to mow/edge/blow. Granted you can park and do 10 to 15 without moving the truck, but I don't see how they make any money at those prices.

Youngandfree

LawnSite Gold Member
Come to Florida if you want low balling. One MH park I do a lot of work in spraying (has over 1100 homes there, all nice St Aug lawns), the mowing companies are loco. The highest I have heard of is $45 a Month, one company (last I heard) was at $35 a Month, $30 if you paid 3 months in advance. These are around 3000 sq ft lawns. Wrap you head around that, figure 12 months @ $35 is $420 a year, divided by average of 38 cuts a year, that's $11.05 per cut to mow/edge/blow. Granted you can park and do 10 to 15 without moving the truck, but I don't see how they make any money at those prices.
1100 homes x $35/month is $38,500/month. That sounds like decent money.

JLSLLC

LawnSite Fanatic
1100 homes x $35/month is $38,500/month. That sounds like decent money.
Your joking right? :popcorn:
Didn’t factor expenses either...
Who can (or would) do 1100 houses? Team of 4 plus?
Keep the laughs coming...I’d rather do a group of landscape projects and make those figures, much less work.

Youngandfree

LawnSite Gold Member
Your joking right? :popcorn:
Didn’t factor expenses either...
Who can (or would) do 1100 houses? Team of 4 plus?
Keep the laughs coming...I’d rather do a group of landscape projects and make those figures, much less work.
I guess $462,000 in yearly revenue is chump change to many people. If youre strictly a small mow and blow company, you're set with one basic location.

JLSLLC

LawnSite Fanatic
I guess $462,000 in yearly revenue is chump change to many people. If youre strictly a small mow and blow company, you're set with one basic location.
The numbers sound good on paper.

Youngandfree

LawnSite Gold Member
The numbers sound good on paper.
4 guys @ $20/hr is $166,400 for 52 weeks. That leaves $295,000 for rest of overhead, which hopefully isn't that much with only 4 employees. 2 loaded trucks, insurances and rent, taxes, even if that runs $150,000, that leaves $145,000. Mow half of the complex 1 week, other half the next. Monthly payments continue during winter. I'm sure my rudimentary numbers leave out plenty, but even if you are only left with $100,00, thats about 21% profit.

Burnie

LawnSite Senior Member
4 guys @ $20/hr is $166,400 for 52 weeks. That leaves $295,000 for rest of overhead, which hopefully isn't that much with only 4 employees. 2 loaded trucks, insurances and rent, taxes, even if that runs $150,000, that leaves $145,000. Mow half of the complex 1 week, other half the next. Monthly payments continue during winter. I'm sure my rudimentary numbers leave out plenty, but even if you are only left with $100,00, that's about 21% profit.
Well for starters, you would not get All the homes, no matter how good of a job you do. These are Old Folks who are hard to please. We spray over 300 lawns in the park (and also do work for the park owners), and are well liked, but I would be surprised if we ever got over 500 lawns, as you can't please everyone.

Second, here in Florida from beginning of April to the beginning of November you MUST cut every week, so doing 1/2 one week and the other 1/2 the next week would not work. You would be out of business in less than a month if you tried that.

Also you must have some really good people to be able to work in our Florida heat and churn out that many lawns in a week with only 4 people. Then in the summer we get thunder storms quite often in the afternoons, so you need makeup days to catch back up.

You think it looks good on paper, but it is just on paper, not real life.

Youngandfree

LawnSite Gold Member
Well for starters, you would not get All the homes, no matter how good of a job you do. These are Old Folks who are hard to please. We spray over 300 lawns in the park (and also do work for the park owners), and are well liked, but I would be surprised if we ever got over 500 lawns, as you can't please everyone.

Second, here in Florida from beginning of April to the beginning of November you MUST cut every week, so doing 1/2 one week and the other 1/2 the next week would not work. You would be out of business in less than a month if you tried that.

Also you must have some really good people to be able to work in our Florida heat and churn out that many lawns in a week with only 4 people. Then in the summer we get thunder storms quite often in the afternoons, so you need makeup days to catch back up.

You think it looks good on paper, but it is just on paper, not real life.
Your post made it seem like you are servicing the entire place being hired by the management company.