1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Catch up on the conversation about fertilization strategies for success with the experts at Koch Turf & Ornamental in the Fertilizer Application forum.

Dismiss Notice

wicked lawn mower vibrations

Discussion in 'Homeowner Assistance Forum' started by peacefrogx, May 12, 2005.

1. peacefrogx

peacefrogx LawnSite Member
    from ny

I'm assuming this is a fairly easy problem for this board to help me out with. I have a relatively new lawn mower (21" 7.0 hp self-propelled with a dual blade for mulching ), used maybe a dozen times. The first couple of times I used the mower it was as smooth as silk. But subsequently, it now vibrates to the point that after a typical 45 minute cut my hands are numb and sore from holding onto it :realmad:. It cuts fine but I was just wondering if anyone could suggest what might be the problem and a possible solution. I'd rather not take it into the shop for something I feel can be self-diagnosed and corrected at home. I'm just looking for a little direction as to what the problem may be and where to start looking.

Thanks

2. J.Gordon

J.Gordon LawnSite Senior Member

Have you sharpened your blades lately? I would guess that they are out of balance. A unbalanced blade will also rob a lot of horsepower. Check out the Maga-Matic balancers. http://www.magna-matic.com/

3. Cleanmaxx Brian

Cleanmaxx Brian LawnSite Member

You have a blade that is out of balance. This if not fixed will tear up the bearings as well!

4. SteveInMD

SteveInMD LawnSite Member

I'm having sticker shock over the Magna-Matic balancer. They seem to be very proud of their products. I'm sure they work very well. Can anyone recommend a product for a small operation?

5. bigz1001

bigz1001 LawnSite Member

Start simple. Are all bolts tight? Are any bolts missing? Is a blade bent or broken? Are the blades balanced? (Much cheaper to contact local shops and pay a few dollars per blade to have them balanced than to make the investment yourself as a homeowner.) Have you hit anything with the mower that could have warped the deck?

6. RKISTNER1

RKISTNER1 LawnSite Member

Fill a bucket up with water. Take blades off ,then stick a screwdriver thru the hole. Then hold above water then ck 2 see if one side hits b4 the other.