Wife is due in May, restructure business plan??

WarriorLandscaping

LawnSite Senior Member
Very excited to be a father and raise my little warrior but I am trying to dissect which business structure would be more realistic.

Hoping to gain some wisdom from the dad's here that run their operation.

Heading into year 7, will have accounts that renew from last season, could have 30 - 50 easily, 60+ If I advertise (Large lots, smaller lots, commercial subdivisions, plaza's etc)

We gross 135 - 150k per season with 1-2 part-time employees.

I am starting fresh this year with zero employee's, have to hire 2 new ones.

With my newborn expected at the height of Spring Madness (May 7th) I am wondering how I should alter my business plan and if I should alter it.

Looking back at things from your experience would you,

a) Scale back operations hire only 1 employee and understand that you will take a financial hit this year but have the benefit of less hours, less stress, being more helpful to the wife, not burn out, etc

b) Go full-speed ahead, land more accounts, hire and fire until the crew size is optimal and try to contend with last years numbers. Run off less sleep, more work, less time with family initially but bring home the bacon.

As a first time father I don't have a personal account of how difficult it will be to run my business and help my wife with our baby. (She will be on full mat-leave)

Wife was also my part-time employee so I will be losing her as well.

Any advice that can help me survive this season?:laugh::sleeping:

JFGLN

LawnSite Fanatic
Very excited to be a father and raise my little warrior but I am trying to dissect which business structure would be more realistic.

Heading into year 7, will have accounts that renew from last season, could have 30 - 50 easily, 60+ If I advertise (Large lots, smaller lots, commercial subdivisions, plaza's etc)

With my newborn expected at the height of Spring Madness (May 7th) I am wondering how I should alter my business plan and if I should alter it.

a) Scale back operations hire only 1 employee and understand that you will take a financial hit this year but have the benefit of less hours, less stress, being more helpful to the wife, not burn out, etc

b) Go full-speed ahead, land more accounts, hire and fire until the crew size is optimal and try to contend with last years numbers. Run off less sleep, more work, less time with family initially but bring home the bacon.

As a first time father I don't have a personal account of how difficult it will be to run my business and help my wife with our baby. (She will be on full mat-leave)

One thing that I did awhile back that really made a difference was to take weekends off.

Mark Stark

LawnSite Fanatic
Congratulations! I wouldn't go with option A or option B.

Go with option C......

Option C is similar to option B but it keeps you from doing a ton of work and not seeing your family. Land all of the work that you can. If you think you need two part-timers, hire 3. Fire them quick if they're no good and get new ones. Make a commitment to be home by 6:00 p.m. every night so you can see your wife and your baby.

I think that if you approach it the right way you can grow the business and see your family. I don't think it's necessary to not see your new family when growing your business. So if I were in that position I would be hiring more people than I think I need and making a commitment to my family. Growing the business serves both the business and your family.

TPendagast

LawnSite Fanatic

Does your wife work?
If she does you’ll lose that money
If she doesn’t then what exactly does she need help with?

the answer is quite clear
Full steam ahead

this idea of oh, i can’t work because life happens is silly
If the wife doesn’t want to care for and/or raise the baby , great don’t have a baby

do you have the option where she can run the business and you care for the baby?
Probably not.

These things were pretty much known before the kid was conceived a few months ago
Trying to question them now, when you already knew the answer then is, superfluous.

kids are expensive
Full steam a head

Top Forums