WiFi Timers

Discussion in 'Professional Discussions' started by greenworldh2o, Jan 23, 2018.

1. greenworldh2o

greenworldh2o LawnSite Member
    Male, from Haverstraw, NY

I have just attended a class on new technology in the irrigation industry and learned that most new WiFi timers are being produced with a 3-5 year shelf life...meaning the technology will be outdated in 3-5 years so the home owner will have to replace them...the instructor called this 'planned obsoletism'...is this true...He also stated that the first generation of Nest Theromostats are coming to the end of their life...comments?

2. HunterTekGeek

HunterTekGeek Sponsor

Hunter Hydrawise controllers are updated regulary via Wi—Fi. The firmware and software will always be current including new features and upgrades. This happens automatically and we also verify that the controller received the updates successfully.

3. Ron Wolfarth

Ron Wolfarth Sponsor

Rain Bird has built its brand by doing the opposite of this and is certainly not going to change now. This is not at all true for Rain Bird. If the person was speaking on behalf of or about Rain Bird, please send me a private message so this can be addressed.

4. greennola

greennola LawnSite Member

Yeah, not to sound like a fanboi but I only use Hunter or Rainbird controllers and have never felt like anything was planned to be obsolete. In fact, I've always found it to be the opposite.

Technology by its very nature becomes dated because we live in a time when advances are made quickly. You can rip the old face off of an ESP-me and put an upgraded one on in about 2 minutes.

It sounds like the instructor of your class was playing off of people's fear of "the man" and how he was screwing you over with irrigation controllers.

5. Love the Green Biz

Love the Green Biz LawnSite Gold Member

Ask yourself this-if the tech is outdated in 3-5 years-so what? Will the timer still function? Most likely unless a hardware failure unrelated to software occurs.

I recently questioned one of the leading irrigation manufacturer reps about why "firmware" or software updates were necessary. He told me because things are changing so rapidly that it is necessary. I pressed him to further explain why and he couldn't put two words together that made any sense.

How "rapidly" are things actually changing? Remember something about smart controllers-regardless of any bells and whistles yet to come there remains a constant-landscapes don't change. They are still a mix of plant material, water requirements, soil textures, slopes, sun, shade, root zone depths and all manner of inputs needed to program the devices properly. How much better can the controllers get? Probably a lot but to what end? Do we really need to talk to our home bots to turn on the sprinklers when our daughter's slackard boyfriend shows up? Does any legitimate irrigation contractor want their clients to play phone swipe and screw with the program they so painstakingly devised? No, no a thousands times no!

So don't sweat it. If you want to install a Smart controller go right ahead. Don't worry about what's coming next as it won't be a shocker (unless the next app is an implant into the client's skull whereby they can will a zone to activate and instantly transmit their uninformed opinion to you-at that point just dump the client!).

Did you take this course at the IANJ Winter Tech with Chris P. as your instructor?

greennola likes this.
  6. Sprinkus

Sprinkus LawnSite Silver Member

Sprinkus' planned obsolescence has already begun, the firmware is turning into software. :cry:

7. ArTurf

ArTurf LawnSite Platinum Member
    Male, from Ark

Someone smarter than me once said "the only constant in life is change".

greennola likes this.
  8. Wet_Boots

Wet_Boots LawnSite Fanatic

I can never hold back the question "What are you going to accomplish with a snazzy cutting-edge Wi-Fi Controller?"

9. greenworldh2o

Yes...Chris Pine did a great job in the class.

10. greenworldh2o

It seems this technology is being requested by the end user...the client...more and more clients are asking about wifi timers...so if we dont learn about this and provide it to our client...some one else will...

1idejim likes this.