WiFi water meter

Discussion in 'Irrigation Pumps & Supplies' started by ed2hess, Nov 6, 2019.

1. ed2hess

ed2hess LawnSite Fanatic

I want to measure the gallons used for irrigation on phone. I have a 15 station Hunter controller with remote to manually run stations. I am hooked to city water and could read the meter -kinda difficult.

rlitman likes this.
  2. OP
    OP
    ed2hess

ed2hess LawnSite Fanatic

this is the controller i have

KIMG1665.JPG

3. OP
    OP
    ed2hess

ed2hess LawnSite Fanatic

Nobody install water meter?

4. benhargreaves

benhargreaves LawnSite Member

This isn't usually a place to solicit work, so not sure you'll will get very far on finding someone to do the work on here. That being said, I can point you in a couple directions as far as products.

The controller you have will not support what you want via a phone app. Your controller does support the installation of a flow meter though. I'm not sure if your controller supports totalization with a flow meter (totalling up water used). Either way, you won't be able to do anything from your phone using the controller you have.

Hunter makes a series of Hydrawise controllers that can be paired with a wired flow meter that will accomplish what you are looking for.

Rachio also makes a controller and a wireless flow meter that would do what you want. Though Rachio just stopped production of their meter, so if you want to go that route you'll want to find a Rachio flow meter ASAP.

Flume also makes a meter reader that is accessible via phone. It will not tie into you irrigation system specifically, but you can get meter readings and notifications via your phone. Flume would be a relatively easy DYI install.

I hope that is some help. You may want to post something in the "Professional Discussions" forum instead. That forum gets a bit more traffic than this one. I believe there are a few regulars from Texas on there.

5. benhargreaves

benhargreaves LawnSite Member

Also, if you get a flow meter installed, be prepared to be shocked by how much water your sprinklers use. Most people have no idea how much water is used by a sprinkler system and are shocked the first time they are able to see the number in front of them.

6. OP
    OP
    ed2hess

ed2hess LawnSite Fanatic

I use about 30K($350) per month in hot months. I have 6 zones drip and 5 zones with mps 8K size properrty I read the meter manually....want something better. I can only water once a week.

7. magna111

magna111 LawnSite Senior Member
    from NJ

Unless there is a restriction or leak, your water usage is going to be the same every month. Figure out your gpm per zone and do the math. Or figure out your water usage for a cycle at 100% then do the math to adjust for your current seasonal adjust and how many watering you’ve done.

WiFi is good for monitoring for leaks or other problems, for normal usage I’d rather see the analog reading.

8. OP
    OP
    ed2hess

ed2hess LawnSite Fanatic

We need to test before we go out selling the product.