Wild Onions, Please go away! Help!

Twoods196

LawnSite Member
Ok so we bought this house around 4 months ago. Toward the end of mowing season. Well over fall/winter wild onions set in. Im not talking a few here an there! Im talking EVERYWHERE. It looks like solid onions looking across my back yard. At this time of year what can I do to kill them. I see people suggest digging them up but there is no way to do this on mine. 2 acres and would take me till next season to get em all dug up lol. So what options do I have?

Also, me an my wife are looking to get are grass in better shape. Can anyone recomend a path to take? Fertilizers and what not? Were not very educated when it comes to fertilizing etc. Any help is appreciated!

Brown 2 Green

LawnSite Member
Posted via Mobile Device
Where ate you located?
What type of grasses do you have?
I would look for a good company that is pesticide certified. A good company should be able to help you to rid your lawn of onions and get you set up on some type of 7-10 step program.

The reason I ask what type grass you have would dictate the chemical you should use.
Posted via Mobile Device

OP
T

Twoods196

LawnSite Member
Hey, was trying to do it myself so I could learn also. I live in MS and we have Bermuda grass an its currently dormant.

Turf Dawg

LawnSite Gold Member
If you can calibrate a sprayer then get you some Speedzone Southern and say goog by to those wild onions/wild garlic in about 10 days
Posted via Mobile Device

OP
T

Twoods196

LawnSite Member
Yeh I can calibrate a sprayer. We plant large acres of corn etc on our farm. Which is actually way diffrent the dealing with grass. Thus why im clueless. I will look into the speedzone southern.

After I get done with the the speedzone southern, I have a ariator/spreader should I use something like Southern Weed & Feed?

cgaengineer

LawnSite Fanatic
Most 3way herbicides will take out wild onion/garlic.

Turf Dawg

LawnSite Gold Member
The speedzone southern will take care of all your broadleaf weeds so you will not need weed n feed. You might want to put down some pre m to stop crabgrass thoigh.
Posted via Mobile Device