Will a 61in Z fit on a 5x10 trailer?

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by Cam15, Sep 4, 2019.

1. AlohaMowing

AlohaMowing LawnSite Senior Member

No guarantee, but I have an idea. You do not describe the sides of your trailer. I have a 5x10 with removable stake sides. If yours is the same and you are willing/able to do without the sides, what you would need to do is just to get the mower deck high enough to clear the fenders. You might build what would amount to solid, well supported ramps that you could drive up on to get the needed height. Certainly it would not be an ideal solution, but could be functional until you have a larger trailer. You could use the space between the ramps for storage, although it would not be accessible while the mower was on it.
    upload_2019-9-5_8-16-15.png

hort101 and Cam15 like this.
  2. Turf Tracer

Turf Tracer LawnSite Fanatic

Buy new trailer. I use 80 wides. Can get 42 and 36 side by each.

3. landscaper22

landscaper22 LawnSite Bronze Member

Look up the model of that mower and see if they show the width with discharge chute up. Then measure the trailer opening. If its an enclosed trailer I know it wont work. Possibility it may with an open trailer, just depends on the trailer.

4. weeze

weeze Banned

nope. same thing happened to me. i ended up getting a 5.5x10 trailer so it would fit a 61" mower. the 5.5 width barely fits it. maybe a few inches on each side when loaded up.

Cam15 likes this.
  5. OP
    OP
    Cam15

Cam15 LawnSite Gold Member

That's an interesting idea, my sides are metal like poles every 2ft.

20190905_173744.jpg

6. Hawkshot99

Hawkshot99 LawnSite Silver Member

But then how do you secure the ramp?

Cam15 likes this.
  7. ltdlawn

ltdlawn LawnSite Platinum Member

Measure to be sure but usual 1”-1.5” larger than cut size no chute.

hort101 and Cam15 like this.
  8. OP
    OP
    Cam15

Cam15 LawnSite Gold Member

Thankyou that was what I was wondering.

ltdlawn likes this.
  9. Mumblingboutmowers

Mumblingboutmowers LawnSite Senior Member

Like someone else said, you might not get your ramp shut. But more importantly you wouldn't want all that weight behind the axle, you want it over the axle and that's going to put the deck right between the fenders whether you load it front first or rear first. Got to have that weight on the axle.

If you really think it's that good of a deal on the machine, buy it. Maybe you can find a wider used trailer before next season. As cheap as they are at lowes, tractor supply or rural king, it should make some really good deals on used ones that come from these places.

Honestly though, something doesn't sound right on the price with that low of hours unless it's an antique or something is seriously wrong with it. Would you want to cut grass with this? Is it going to leave a quality cut? Don't buy something just because it's cheap, learnt my lesson on that many times over.

MNLawns, Cam15 and hort101 like this.
  10. Mowing monkey.

Mowing monkey. LawnSite Senior Member

Why not just trade trailers? That’s my least favorite part about my 72”. Very few lawnmower trailers and no 16’ or shorter covered trailers will fit my 72” so I’ve been using a car hauler trailer. But a 61” won’t have that problem. There’s plenty of trailers to fit that.

Cam15 likes this.