• Thankful For Your Family…. Business?
    Landscaping businesses are often family endeavors. While this can combine the best of both worlds (personal and professional), it isn’t always smooth sailing. Click here to read more.

Will a TTHP cut below 1.5"?

New2TheGreenIndustry

LawnSite Senior Member
Anyone rig their mower to cut lower than 1.5"? It seems like you could get .5" lower if you remove the spacers at the top of the deck pins. Could you also add a couple of washers below the spindle or would this screw up the spline part that fits into the spindle?

KeystoneLawn&Landscaping

LawnSite Senior Member
With spacers, I don't see why you couldn't mow at 1/2 inch if you wanted. My question is why do you want to cut at 1 inch?

Darryl G

Inactive
I think you'd be messing up your blades and spindles from being down in the dirt :p

The lowest I've ever gone with mine is 2.0 inches and that was only once.

quiet

LawnSite Senior Member
yes very curious why you would want to mow that low???
Hybrid bermuda lawns do much better at shorter mowing heights. Tif 419 is a very common turf installed throughout the South, and it is beautiful at 1". It gets stringy and less dense above 2 - 2 1/2".

But I've yet to find a lawn flat enough to stay at that 1" height . . . or even at 2" during the summer. Too many dips and pits cause the mower to bottom out and scalp. In the early spring when growth is rapid, it's not as noticeable, but come late spring, the turf doesn't recover as quickly, and those scalp marks are ugly. I gradually raise the heright as the season progresses and max out at 2.25".

I just wouldn't put my machine in that much danger at 1" unless the lawn is "pool table" flat. And I haven't found one even close to that yet! And with the heavy clay soils we have here, the ground is constantly swelling and contracting and buckling because of changing moisture content.

OP
N

New2TheGreenIndustry

LawnSite Senior Member
Bermuda is the most common turfgrass used in my region. With that being said, a lot of customers are after carpet like turf. Common bermuda: 1"- 2" Hybrid bermuda: 1/2"- 1 1/2"

Chilehead

LawnSite Silver Member
Bermuda is the most common turfgrass used in my region. With that being said, a lot of customers are after carpet like turf. Common bermuda: 1"- 2" Hybrid bermuda: 1/2"- 1 1/2"
Hey man! I do alot of work in your neck of the woods (in John's Creek, Milton, Deluth too). You're right about mowing bermuda at 1". Just make sure you do it every 5 days if it's going to be that short.

The-Other-Side

LawnSite Member
I'm over in east Cobb, Dunwoody, and Atlanta. If you want to cut that short the only way we have been able to is if the customer allows us to top dress their lawn at least every two years. Then we either reel mow it or use our navigators which can cut down at 1". I have tried once to cut one of our bermuda lawns with our tthp that short one time and it looked like shat. Never tried that again.

dishboy

LawnSite Fanatic
If we are talking about a 36" TTHP I can see two problems. One is this machine is pretty long due to the offset blade design and has the typical hanging deck design which for practical purposes is no better than a fixed deck for following the contour and this will kill you cutting short. Second when you drop that deck around two inches the blade belt / idler pulley angle is severe and you will eat blade belts unless you do something to remedy this. I changed pulley's. That machine is engineered to mow taller.

OP
N

New2TheGreenIndustry

LawnSite Senior Member
Then we either reel mow it or use our navigators which can cut down at 1". I have tried once to cut one of our bermuda lawns with our tthp that short one time and it looked like shat. Never tried that again.
Of course a reel is the prefered method. We use a Walker which does a pretty good job cutting low, but I was hoping the tthp would get close to that.