• Landscape Lighting Design: Bright Ideas
    With outdoor spaces more popular than ever, lighting these landscapes may be your next opportunity. Click here to learn more.

will I ever be able to get round 1 started rant

grassmasterswilson

LawnSite Fanatic
I'm down here in North Carolina. We have had a really cold winter. It is now time to start round 1 (weed control/pre) and fertilize fescue. It has either been 55 and raining, blowing 25-30 mph, or temp high of 40. I try my best to wait for a good stretch of warm weather to get good results with herbicide, but by the looks of things that is not going to happen.

Thanks mother nature. Just sitting and waiting.

ted putnam

LawnSite Fanatic
I finally started late last week but am officially 2 weeks behind right out of the gate. I haven't started this late...EVER. We haven't had a winter like this since I was a kid.

Young Bros

LawnSite Senior Member
We usually start in 5 weeks. I'm worried the 3' of snow on the ground will make for a late start. I dont see any 32 degree days in the forecast.

phasthound

LawnSite Fanatic
Starting to see some turf peeking through the snow. Our area had a record breaking 70" of snow this winter.

grassman177

LawnSite Fanatic
we have a fresh 6 in right now with low temps most of the week. there goes my march 1 start date. sucks

Turf Dawg

LawnSite Gold Member
The ground here is also slow to warm with below normal temps. What has got me so far behind on everything is the moisture. Or clay soils have been so saturated for the last couple of months that water is still standing and most all ground is too wet to even walk on without leaving marks. I am very worried about the pre-emergents this year because of all the moisture, heck 1/8" rain right now just runs right off or puddles because it cannot go into the ground. What is going to happen if we get another 2" rain a week after the pre-emergent is put down?

DA Quality Lawn & YS

LawnSite Fanatic
April 7-10 is when I will probably get started.
You think this snowpack will be off and ground temps above freezing by 6 weeks from now? Would be nice but I don't think it will happen that fast.

kirk1701

LawnSite Gold Member
I soooo much do not miss living up north :walking:

Was 65 here yesterday, all weekend and Friday in fact and spent yesterday tilling the garden and getting it ready to plant. :laugh: