Lawn Care Forum banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

· Registered
798 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i was thinking about purchasing a velky or sulkt i own a 13 hp 36" Gravely walk behind. it is belt drive now here is the question, i am a big boy at 280 lbs will 13 hp and a belt drive be able to do the job and if it can will it stress my engine and trans to much

thanks bill

· Registered
15,227 Posts
I'm over a hundred pounds lighter than you. On the flats the mower will be fine. Going up hill will be hard on the belts and engine. I used to have a 12.5 Kaw on my Exmark and it labored a little going up hill with the blades on. When I swapped the 12.5 for a 14 it made all the difference in the world. Get the 15 instead of the 13.

· Registered
622 Posts
The more hp the better. I've yet to hear someone wishing they had less. If you can afford it, go for it.

· Registered
1,332 Posts
It will be very tough and slow going for your machine. More HP would be best, at least 15HP I'd think, more would be even better.
If your lawns are all hard texture and flat you'll probably be alright.
The thicker the grass the more difficult.
Forget any hills or slopes.

· Registered
622 Posts
Hey 44Toy,

Your from 'Mayberry', huh? Not to get off topic, but I was told that Mt. Airy was the basis for the show. Drove through once, decent lookin' place!

Always glad to see a fellow Bob-Cat fan on this site!

Brian

· Registered
185 Posts
Originally posted by rookiemower
i was thinking about purchasing a velky or sulkt i own a 13 hp 36" Gravely walk behind. it is belt drive now here is the question, i am a big boy at 280 lbs will 13 hp and a belt drive be able to do the job and if it can will it stress my engine and trans to much

thanks bill
No it won't pull you, and cut grass - to much weight. If your looking at hydro WB for one big enough to pull you, cut grass & turn the hydros - you might as well lokk into a small Z rider

· Registered
1,120 Posts
redbull is correct - you will have problems with the gear drive units pulling that weight
you really need a hydro WB or go with the Z
and the trans. for the wb are not cheap

· Registered
5,033 Posts
I doubt you'll kill the tranny... I had a rear engine rider with the same transmission (still have the tranny, still works great) I pulled a cart with it, drug junk mowers around the yard with it, we have hills i mowed on with it, pulled a huge leaf catcher trailer uphill with it in fall collecting leaves, etc. when mowing w/o trailer I shifted on the fly into reverse and into forward to turn around, couldn't kill that transmission... Wouldnt' worry about tearing it up if I were you. If you tear it up pulling a sulky, email me and I'll GIVE you mine for FREE. Yes a new one runs around $179 in J-Thomas I think.

· Registered
1,120 Posts
depending on the unit will depend on price - i have seen them go over $500 and if you want to spend that go ahead but you may as well get a hydro unit
$200 for a WB trans. is cheap
The small husky unit runs almost $400

· Registered
46 Posts
i have a 15hp 36inch belt drive gravely, i weigh 172lbs and it pulls me fine the thing about having more horsepower is good and i believe its less stress on the mower. if you can go bigger, but a hydro gravely is like 4600, might as well get a z-rider. good luck

· Registered
93 Posts
I am nearly 300 lbs have run a bobcat gear drive 36 with 14 hp kohler, and 52 bunton hydro 16 hp vanguard both with sulkys for about 5-6 years. mow time about 10-15 hours a week, everyone run them on walkbehinds around here, havent blown a gear box or hydro yet, but im the only person who runs my stuff, and I don't try to kill it. not that other people don't have problems but i had good luck. my friend run a 48 gear bobcat without wheels for around 3 years, put on a set broke a shaft the first few months.

· Banned
24 Posts
I have been using a 36" Snapper BD with sulky (1 wheel) 12.5 HP Kawasaki, for 2 years and have had no problem on flat ground, uphill, or downhill. In Feb. this year I was weighing in a about 290. I'm down to 255 now so not only do I feel better, I think my mower does too! I also have a 48" Ferris SD with 14 Kawasaki and haven't had any problems with it pulling me. On the Ferris, I had to put weights on the front to keep from doing wheelies, but that was because of the engine position ( most of the engine weight is behind the rear wheels) not beacuse of my weight. I know most on here don't think much of the Snapper mowers, but mine has been trouble free and has a great cut. The Ferris also has a great cut, but it really shines (cutwise) if I walk instead of ride. I use it without the velke alot....this is why I've lost 35-40 lbs. in the last 4 months.

· Registered
155 Posts
I have a 2002 Gravely Gear 36" WB with the 13 Twin Kawi, As you may know it is a built like a tank. I do not have a sulky, only use it for 3 accounts That don't want my big and heavy Z on their lawns, little do they know how much the Gravely weighs in at, ha ha ! I don't see a problem with the sulky pulling you, especially in 1st gear, which is all I use anyway. Can you arrange a Demo ?

· Registered
15,227 Posts
saw man wrote:

The small husky unit runs almost $400

If it's using a Peerless tranny (95% of geardrives do) then you can get them everywhere for under $200. I guess if you buy the tranny from a dealer it may cost $400 but there are too many places to buy trannies to pay that kind of markup.

Here's a place you can get one for under $200

www.landscapersupply.com

· Registered
1,120 Posts
most guys go to a dealer for their equipment so that is why i posted that.
you may be able to get it cheaper on the net, but i was just stating for the "average" guy.

also email the manufacture, they should be able to tell you
when i have spoken with some of the reps they stated not to use sulkies on gear drive units if you were a big guy.

this info i am going by is from the manufactures which may or may not be true

1 - 19 of 19 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.