1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Catch up on the conversation with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns in the Franchising forum plus sign up to receive a FREE eBook on how to grow your landscape business.

Dismiss Notice

Will My Pond Hold Water?

Discussion in 'Homeowner Assistance Forum' started by saktate, Sep 27, 2007.

1. saktate

saktate LawnSite Member

How do I determine if my soil composition will hold water?

Can I simply dig a hole three feet deep by three feet diameter, fill it with water, and time how long the water stays in the hole? I'm considering building a pond about 100 feet x 60 feet on my four acre lot.

Thanks

2. cgaengineer

cgaengineer LawnSite Fanatic

Ideally you would line your pond with a clay based soil to help keep water in, but I am sure if you know the GPM on the feeder stream/spring and compare to the perc rate of your soil you would be fine.

Just a warning so that you dont get fined by EPA/EPD.

Check with local authorities before building a pond, most require a permit. Just because the spring/creek runs through your property doesnt mean its yours...around here most are called "state waters". Restricting and disturbing state water requires a permit.

3. saktate

saktate LawnSite Member

Appreciate the info and the advice. I'll certainly make contact with the appropriate authorities.

4. Lugnut

Lugnut LawnSite Senior Member

You will also want to use a liner on your pond to help keep the weeds to a minimum