1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Catch up on the conversation about fertilization strategies for success with the experts at Koch Turf & Ornamental in the Fertilizer Application forum.

Dismiss Notice

Will polymeric sand work for this project???

Discussion in 'Hardscaping' started by wrtenterprises, Jul 14, 2005.

1. wrtenterprises

wrtenterprises LawnSite Senior Member

We are currently working on an irregular flagstone patio that is set in a mortar bed. We are removing all mortar from the joints, and I would like opinions on using poly-sand as a replacement. I've read that some poly-sand is not recommended for this use. Anyone try it? Poly sand seems to work great, but I was wondering what the drawback is in this instance.....

2. hollywood

hollywood LawnSite Member

I have used polymeric sand on bluestone, but the pieces were all rectangular or square. Therefore, all of the joints were relatively consistent in width. I would think that with irregular pieces of flagstone using polymeric would still be okay. I am basing this on my observations of how polymeric sand handles and not real field experience. I do not know if polymeric is intended for a certain dimension of a joint or not.

Have you considered stone dust?

3. wrtenterprises

wrtenterprises LawnSite Senior Member

Hollywood,

Stone dust, other aggregates, or sand are not acceptable to the customer. I will grout the joints the old fashion way if I have too. The joints average 1" so they are not huge. The previous contractor obviously used lime with his mix, as it's exceptionally hard.....

4. Peach

Peach LawnSite Member

Just finished an irregular bluestone patio using polymeric. I was concerned about the varying joints as a factor to the sand failing. It was important because the path and patio were a front entry.
    So far...all is good. (Except for those dang chipmunks..)
    Anyway..I'll try to u[load a shot so you can compare.

Wilk Planting crop.jpg

5. Sanlorenzo

Sanlorenzo LawnSite Member

Alliance has the best on the market. Polymeric stone dust up to 4 inch joint