1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Catch up on the conversation with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns in the Franchising forum plus sign up to receive a FREE eBook on how to grow your landscape business.

Dismiss Notice

Will this impact wrench be powerful enough?

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by TROTTMAN, Jun 22, 2005.

1. TROTTMAN

TROTTMAN LawnSite Senior Member

Here are the specifications (its a cheap electric version, but I ONLY need it for removing and installing blades):

Wrench length: 11 5/8"
    Powerful 7 amp, 120V motor
    2100 RPM, 2400 BPM
    235 pounds of torque

The socket size is 1/2" (pretty standard from what I have seen).

Those are about the same numbers for torque I see on a lot of air impact wrenches of similiar value. I know it won't be as good, but I'm on a budget! Thanks y'all for any advice!

And again, I know electric isn't as good, but should this get the blades off and on?

2. Ric

Ric LawnSite Fanatic

TROTTMAN

I don't think it has enough power to make you happy. I have both a cheap and good impact. The 235 lb air impact wouldn't do the job for me so I got a 600 lb impact and it does ok.

3. TROTTMAN

So you don't think it will get the blade bolts off? If it can just get them loose thats good enough for me. I can't imagine the bolts require more torque than that, but maybe they do???

Ususally stuff isn't tightened down much over 100lbft. Right?

4. Ric

Ric LawnSite Fanatic

TROTTMAN

Blade rotate in the direction that tights the nuts. The 235 ft lbs Might be enough to break them loose some of the time. But carry a big Breaker bar with you. You will need it on occasion. I found my 235 ft lb air impact to be worthless most of the time.

5. TROTTMAN

Hmmm okay... where can I find one of these breaker bars and how much do they usually run?

6. Big Hoss

Big Hoss LawnSite Member

This impact has more than double the torque to take off and put the blades on my equipment . It should be enough to get you started but I would be concerned about its durability.

Big Hoss

7. timinkc

timinkc LawnSite Member

dude, if you don't know what a breaker bar is you're in serious trouble...

8. SteveInMD

SteveInMD LawnSite Member

Craftsman makes them. Take the time to find a 3 - 4 foot length of steel pipe that fits tightly around the handle too. I also use an impact wrench socket because they are much tougher than the standard ones.

9. Precision

Precision LawnSite Silver Member

agreed.

that impact wrench will be plenty to put them on. But getting them off, I would guess at least one time in 4 it will do absolutely nothing towards lossening the bolt.

I have one (pnuematic) that is rated at 1000 ft/# and I had trouble with a bolt the other day. Took 10 seconds to break it loose.

Get a good cfm air compressor that runs on 110 volt. Lowes has a 30 gallon 6 hp for under $300. Then get a decent air driven impact wrench at $150. Very good investment and you now have a whole list of new tools to ask for at birthdays and Christmas. #1 should be a portable air tank for fixing tires while working.

10. South Florida Lawns

South Florida Lawns LawnSite Platinum Member
    from usa

I have an old craftsman electric and it has plenty of power. It even took off the factory tight bolts off the blades with out a problem. Now i just use a breaker bar and some muscle and skip the impact wrench all together. I am looking at the battery powered models for when I'm out on site.