1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Catch up on the conversation with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns in the Franchising forum plus sign up to receive a FREE eBook on how to grow your landscape business.

Dismiss Notice

Will this pesticide affect seeding?

Discussion in 'Homeowner Assistance Forum' started by RicVa, Aug 31, 2005.

1. RicVa

RicVa LawnSite Member

I normally am not an advocate of broadcasting pesticides, because I think that most "pests" balance the ecosystem out in one way or another. But, I currently have a lot of spiders in my lawn. There are at least two different types of good size, if not more. I have two children under 2 1/2 years of age, and a dog, and I do not want anyone getting bit by a spider.

I am considering applying Ortho Max Insect Killer for Lawns. The active ingredient is Bifenthrin. My question - Will applying this pesticide in any way impact my seeding planned for 2 1/2 weeks from now? There is nothing on the label or website that indicates that it would impact seeding.

I've also heard that having this amount of spiders could be a sign of something else like grubs, but I have seen no evidence of grubs.

2. lawnguy26

lawnguy26 LawnSite Member
    from Florida

Bifenthrin will not effect your seeding. Insecticides are safe to use when establishing a lawn. It is the herbicides you need to be careful with.