1. Can’t make it to the GIE+EXPO 2017?
    LawnSite brings the trade show floor to your fingertips with our new GIE+EXPO 2017 Sneak Peek video series debuting now in the Lawn Mowing forum.

Dismiss Notice

winch for trailer tailgate

Discussion in 'Trucks and Trailers' started by aclassic, Sep 28, 2005.

1. aclassic

aclassic LawnSite Member

has anyone tried to rig something up that raises their tailgate w/ some sort of electric winch. so instead of bending over and lifting the gate (even w/ gate assist) you could just stand on the side of the trailer and flip a switch, and up it goes.
    if anyone has ever done this please let me know where you can get a really small winch (cheap also) i cant find much under $50 and they are all for boats, i'd like something smaller,
    let me know,
    thanks

2. ToroLandscaper

ToroLandscaper LawnSite Bronze Member

I was wondering the exact same thing about a week ago

3. grass_cuttin_fool

grass_cuttin_fool LawnSite Gold Member

I have pondered the same idea, but it seems so slow. I have 2 garage springs and a handle about waist high on my gate, I grab the handle and walk forward and up comes the gate

4. cochino12

cochino12 LawnSite Senior Member

Can you post some pics of that?

5. grass_cuttin_fool

grass_cuttin_fool LawnSite Gold Member

I will try and take some tom and get my wife to post them here tom night

6. mcwlandscaping

mcwlandscaping LawnSite Gold Member

I agree, it would be too slow. And it would probably be faster and most likely cheaper than a winch too. Also, whats cheaper, replacing a winch part or entire unit or a garage spring if something breaks? Not only cheaper but easier to fix. Just my opinion but my vote would be for the springs!

7. kimberjim

kimberjim LawnSite Member

Here's a pick of my 125hp Toyota Dyna.

I made up this folding gate a month or so ago and fitted a 5500lb winch to raise and lower it.The gate weighs about 250kg and is somewhat over engineered but will take a Bobcat and my frontmount mowers easily.

It takes about 2 minutes to plug in the remote,unclip the latches and to get it down...

Maybe it's abit slow for some operators but I usually only stop once or twice a day so it works well for me and the properties I maintain.

All I gotta do now is get some paint on it and letter the truck.:D

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

jim