• Online Events For Landscapers!
    With GIE+EXPO cancelled, virtual education and product launches are filling up the fall. Check out dates for Caterpillar, Exmark, NALP, and more. Click here to learn more.

Winter Blues

double e

LawnSite Member
I'm getting sick of winter already-
In Delaware we hardly get snow to push and half the time we get an inch or two and it sits on the ground forever- preventing from yard work.

What do you guys do in the winter- besides work on websites
I'm thinking of starting up something to increse my income in the winter- I thought of fire wood and may start it next year to keep my one full time employee busy. It dosent even have to be lawn maintenece related.

I make good money in the summer, but I guess I'm a work-aholic. I coach a Jr. High wrestling team but will be ending the season next week.

Jusmowin

LawnSite Senior Member
I know what you mean, I sell and split firewood. I ts good money and it keeps me in shape. Also I help out at a horse farm ( draging feilds and replacing old fencing ect ect.) and that also is decent money too.So needless to say Im always keeping busy.

Runner

LawnSite Fanatic
Homework from school helps, but I must say, thank GOODNESS we have Lawnsite to atleast keep us in touch with, and help us relate to the industry.:)

bob

LawnSite Platinum Member
Tom, It's called S.A.D.- that stands for Seasonal Affect Disorder. Its almost like a mild depression caused by lack of sun light. They make light bulbs (pricey) that mimic sun light to counter affect the depression.

dmk395

LawnSite Bronze Member
I hear ya. I am in Massachusetts, and dont do any plowing, but sell a small amount of firewood. I keep somewhat busy with college classes and coaching at my boxing gym, but other than that I miss work.

cantoo

LawnSite Silver Member
With the hours I spend here reading if I bought one of those lights and mounted it over my computer it would equal living in Hawaii and I would be ready for Spring.