Lawn Care Forum banner
161 - 178 of 178 Posts

· Registered
2,564 Posts
Discussion Starter · #161 ·
Who cares if he used the actual tool? It appears it can be used on engines that may be in different equipment. If you feel like fighting to the bitter end about stuff like that, have at it, sounds miserable.

with that being said, here was my morning project

New

View attachment 537834

old

View attachment 537835
I hate working on washers and dryers. I don’t envy you. In January we bought new of both because I was tired of battling them.

· Registered
189 Posts
Who cares if he used the actual tool? It appears it can be used on engines that may be in different equipment. If you feel like fighting to the bitter end about stuff like that, have at it, sounds miserable.

with that being said, here was my morning project

New

View attachment 537834

old

View attachment 537835
That looks bad! Is that aluminum that just vibrated itself to death?

My morning project was getting the gremlins out of the Quickbooks account I just set up and working on last years taxes. Not nearly as interesting as that.

· Registered
2,564 Posts
Discussion Starter · #167 · (Edited)
J, this might be premature, but how do you like those VersaTurf tires on the BX? I have (1) mower with turf tires that needs an upgrade, and another with AT101 bar-lug tires that I'm considering swapping out for VersaTurf's.
Those actually aren’t Versa Turfs. Those are Goodyear R14’s. They’re about as new as the Carlisle Versa Turf tires, and very similar. That tractor had R4 industrial tires that were foam filled. When we bought one of the other BX tractors, we bought a complete second set of tires so we could dual it for working in soft terrain. Decided to put them on this machine and order another set.

Anyway, I can speak on both the Goodyears and the Carlisles as we do have a set of the Carlisle’s. I haven’t run the machine with the VT’s as much as my brother did. But we were both very happy with them. They did extremely well on turf, and in soft ground. If they did spin, you were in soup and probably going to get stuck. The machine they were on was never used on snow, but I would expect them to do very well. As a note, we have that machine for sale, but took the VT’s off to put on something else. Liked them so much we kept them!

We were at GIE in the fall and went to the Carlisle booth. It just so happened the engineer who designed them was there. We talked with him at least a half an hour. Great guy. Very smart. Ol country boy just like we are. I’ve ran Carlisle tires on equipment for years. The VT’s are hands down one of the best tires they’ve made to date.

The Goodyear R14’s are equally as good. The set on the tractor pictured makes the 3rd set we have. Thus far they ride well, have great traction, and perform extremely well in snow. Like I had zero problems in the snow. Seldom slipped if at all. They are a hybrid bias/radial tire, and I’m pretty sure available in radial.

I’ve ran a lot of tractors with a lot of different brand and types of tires. Different tread for different jobs. It’s hard to find a tread that is good in every area. For the type of work we all do (L&L work) you probably won’t find a better tire than either of these. If you do let me know and I’ll try them.

I may buy a complete set of VT’s and put on this BX and save the R14’s for duals. That way we can have a comparison of both the R14’s and VT’s on identical machine. No better comparison that way.

· Registered
1,090 Posts
I really wanted VersaTurf's for last season, but the supply chain hiccups meant they were out of stock for my 24x12-12 size that I needed. So I went with AT101's instead.

I may go with VersaTurfs on the new stander. If they had a bar-lug tire like the AT101's, but with a 50:50 tread:void, I'd be all over them. I mentioned this to the Carlisle rep via e-mail in the past, and to one of the OEM guys at the GIE show. Both kind of shrugged it off, but I really believe there's merit there.

Michelin makes an automotive tire called the Cross-Climate 2. With just a bit more void, it would be an incredible tire for lawn & landscape work.

Tire Wheel Automotive tire Synthetic rubber Tread

· Registered
2,564 Posts
Discussion Starter · #169 ·
I may go with VersaTurfs on the new stander. If they had a bar-lug tire like the AT101's, but with a 50:50 tread:void, I'd be all over them.
I’ve never owned a set of AT101’s, but driven plenty of machines with them. I actually like them for what they are.

The rest of your comment confuses me. The VT’s are a bar tread with a pretty close 50/50 tread void. I mean, they’re really close.

They are in the background of this picture actually. I just happened to think that I might have caught them in a picture. Maybe you saw them in the background, I didn’t realize they were in there.

Motor vehicle Automotive tire Wood Mode of transport Tread

I’m not happy with the tires on our Walkers. Turfs weren’t aggressive enough to keep us stable mowing hillsides and ditches, but the more aggressive tires they offer are basically snow tread. While they have decent grip, they absolutely suck. They’re super hard for one, but due to tread design if you do get in mud (like you did in your HP thread part 2, lol) then it packs all over the voids and just throws mud and grass everywhere. Grass packs in them bad if it’s damp, and on really nice turf you have to be really careful turning. The big issue is, Walker makes their own tires and are an extremely odd size, so there are almost literally no other options. I can switch rims to a more common size, but then you get into the size throwing the deck pitch off more than you can adjust it…. It’s probably my only big complaint about the Walkers. Tire size. A set of AT101’s would actually work really well, but I can’t get them in that size. The old style knobby ATV (think 3 wheeler) tires actually do really well on Walkers, but they switched to this odd size and the old knobby’s are getting hard to find. I’ll probably switch rim size at some point.

· Registered
1,090 Posts
I’ve never owned a set of AT101’s, but driven plenty of machines with them. I actually like them for what they are.

The rest of your comment confuses me. The VT’s are a bar tread with a pretty close 50/50 tread void. I mean, they’re really close.

They are in the background of this picture actually. I just happened to think that I might have caught them in a picture. Maybe you saw them in the background, I didn’t realize they were in there.

View attachment 537916

I’m not happy with the tires on our Walkers. Turfs weren’t aggressive enough to keep us stable mowing hillsides and ditches, but the more aggressive tires they offer are basically snow tread. While they have decent grip, they absolutely suck. They’re super hard for one, but due to tread design if you do get in mud (like you did in your HP thread part 2, lol) then it packs all over the voids and just throws mud and grass everywhere. Grass packs in them bad if it’s damp, and on really nice turf you have to be really careful turning. The big issue is, Walker makes their own tires and are an extremely odd size, so there are almost literally no other options. I can switch rims to a more common size, but then you get into the size throwing the deck pitch off more than you can adjust it…. It’s probably my only big complaint about the Walkers. Tire size. A set of AT101’s would actually work really well, but I can’t get them in that size. The old style knobby ATV (think 3 wheeler) tires actually do really well on Walkers, but they switched to this odd size and the old knobby’s are getting hard to find. I’ll probably switch rim size at some point.
So you would not recommend VersaTurf's for a regular mid-mount ZTR or stander?

· Registered
2,564 Posts
Discussion Starter · #171 ·
So you would not recommend VersaTurf's for a regular mid-mount ZTR or stander?
My experience with the VT’s were on our JD F935, which is a front mount mower. Those steer a lot different that a ZTR. I’ve never ran a stander, but design is identical to a mid mount ZTR. Knowing how those machines steer, the VT would probably work out well because of the 50/50 tread/void they have. They are a somewhat soft tire, but maybe not as soft as an AT101. If I could get a VT in the size I need for our Walkers I would, and I can turn those mowers pivoting on one wheel. Typically you don’t steer that way on a mid mound, or at least I don’t tend to.

· Registered
1,090 Posts
If you point-turn with the AT101’s, they will absolutely tear. But so will turfmaster tires.

They however offer better traction even on flat turf. I find that they won't spin nearly as easily, therefore they're less prone to damage from spinning or skidding.

· Registered
2,564 Posts
Discussion Starter · #173 ·
If you point-turn with the AT101’s, they will absolutely tear. But so will turfmaster tires.

They however offer better traction even on flat turf. I find that they won't spin nearly as easily, therefore they're less prone to damage from spinning or skidding.
That’s the truth. Learned it a long, long time ago. Driving style is nearly as important as the tires. But some machines don’t allow for a wheel pivot turn. Some do. So it’s an important consideration to keep in mind.

· Registered
2,564 Posts
Discussion Starter · #178 ·
My family and I are fine. Tornado set down maybe 2 miles east of our house. Had it been on the ground we would have been hit.

We loaded 2 tractors on the gooseneck, the dump truck and box trailer and every saw we had and spent the day helping. I had to get a gen set going at home before I left. I’m beat. Long day. Very bad. 60-100 people displaced, a few did not survive. I know people whose houses are gone. Knew at least one who was called home. Going to be a very busy few weeks here I would say.

161 - 178 of 178 Posts