Lawn Care Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
194 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi yall, I am thinking about planting some winter rye this fall on my Bermuda lawn. What are the pro's and con's of this. I like the idea of having a green lawn in the winter and enjoy taking care of it. My question is, will this affect the lawn in the spring and summer? Or will the rye die off and keep my nice green lawn the same as it was the year before?

·
Registered
4,178 Posts
The key is that the Bermuda needs a full 6 months of growth to remain vigorous and healthy. Most people seed too early and let the rye go to long through the summer without killing it off.

If the weather remains mild in the late spring you have to actively kill off the rye. Some popular methods are by depriving it of water, scalping and possibly even by spray application.

Seed by Halloween mow by Thanksgiving and be done with it by May 1st Thats the program for AZ but few but myself follow it. It is usually more like seed right after Labor day and that's about the end of the program for them. They don't give much thought to killing it off in the spring. Which is why most Bermuda looks like crap from July-Sept.

·
Registered
1,058 Posts
it's a little different here from where you are but a few words of advice do not over apply the rye seed and be prepared to fert it as it will deplenish any nuturients in the soil with it's growth. here we can almost count on the heat to help the transition and check out the rye from the lawn. but some spraying is needed to fully complete the job at times. also buy a quality seed as you do not want added weeds or fungus problems.
depending on the size of the lot
a blended seed is nice some are certified as to how much of each type in the blend
others are blended without the qurantee as to the blend
a less exspensive blend would be an intermiadate blend

·
Registered
194 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
thanks for the comments. Any different with fescue? My front is bermuda and back is fescue. I may skip the front and just do the back. Might even get the bermuda painted this year.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.