Lawn Care Forum banner
21 - 40 of 67 Posts
First you must sell yourself before you can sell others on your ideas

I swear I agree. That is exactly what I've been thinking about every day this past week. I need to start selling and promoting "me", and not just the "lights" or even the "lighting effects."

My next post card will say something like:
"Stylish illumination by Mike M., outdoor lighting designer."
"Call to set up a consultation, or better yet, book a great deal on a lighting demo of Mike's designs at your home for only $65.00"

Or something like that.

Hey,
Just saw the link on another post, Thanks. Impressive site, and looks very professional. Did you do all of the work in the photos?
there is one that's just a stock photo to show what i could do given the right background....the one that's around a pool with trees. the pool lighting i did in the other pics didn't really have any good plants or trees around it.

btw,,,,saw your truck in another post - i love the wrap man!

I swear I agree. That is exactly what I've been thinking about every day this past week. I need to start selling and promoting "me", and not just the "lights" or even the "lighting effects."

"Call to set up a consultation, or better yet, book a great deal on a lighting demo of Mike's designs at your home for only $65.00"

Or something like that.
Not so sure this is a great idea man...who really knows who you are? I think a better approach on the card is selling the experience the customer gets from your work - what's in it for them.

Then, when you're face to face, sell yourself by your actions. Answering calls promptly, being punctual, concentrating on the customers NEEDS and desires, rather than simply what you think looks "correct". People really appreciate this.

Answering calls promptly, being punctual, concentrating on the customers NEEDS and desires

Okay, how's this:

"Call today, I'll answer promptly. If I'm not ten minutes early for your appointment, I'm ten minutes late. I'll satisfy your hunger and lust for illumination."

Actually, the whole needs and desires thing is reminiscent of my old psych 101 days and Freud stuff. It all comes down to sex and death. How's this:

"Mike M will fulfill your needs and desires. Without me, darkness is death."

Sorry, man, I'm having my first cervesa in a week.

there is one that's just a stock photo to show what i could do given the right background....the one that's around a pool with trees. the pool lighting i did in the other pics didn't really have any good plants or trees around it.

btw,,,,saw your truck in another post - i love the wrap man!
You might want to take a closer look at that truck dude. On your web site home page, top picture (second from the left) look familiar? That's my job pal! Did you get this pic from Kichler? I'm not gonna come get you over it cause it's one that I let go of, but man....... Don't you think you should use your own work for your web site? I'm somewhat disappointed in you my brother. I think you should have your site designer make some changes real quick.

Or something like that.
You are mis understanding my recommendation

You must sell yourself on your product /service first meaning you must believe in it and know it's worth more than you are selling it for before attempting to sell it to someone else.

Selling yourself is not a bad thing either but that's not what I meant.

You might want to take a closer look at that truck dude. On your web site home page, top picture (second from the left) look familiar? That's my job pal! Did you get this pic from Kichler? I'm not gonna come get you over it cause it's one that I let go of, but man....... Don't you think you should use your own work for your web site? I'm somewhat disappointed in you my brother. I think you should have your site designer make some changes real quick.
Immitation is the finest form or flattery.

PM sent...we'll discuss in private.

If Kichler gave away a contractors photo without permission then I would think that would be grounds to discontinue using their product. Joey D is waiting in the wings with open arms. All brass not the cheap aluminum that is guaranteed to rust. Why support a manufacturer that has such close ties to the DIY market by selling their lights through home depot and Lowe's. You can argue that it's not contractor grade but I don't care. Customers perceive it to be the same quality under the Kichler brand name. perceptions are expensive and nearly impossible to change. I say boycott kichler in support of our brother and fellow contractor Chris J.

If Kichler gave away a contractors photo without permission then I would think that would be grounds to discontinue using their product. Joey D is waiting in the wings with open arms. All brass not the cheap aluminum that is guaranteed to rust. Why support a manufacturer that has such close ties to the DIY market by selling their lights through home depot and Lowe's. You can argue that it's not contractor grade but I don't care. Customers perceive it to be the same quality under the Kichler brand name. perceptions are expensive and nearly impossible to change. I say boycott kichler in support of our brother and fellow contractor Chris J.
dont know about boycotting them, but it's pretty lame they sent a pic saying it was okay to use so i could depict representations of what i can do.

i never claimed it to be my work, and it isn't in my portfolio section, just in some little pics on the main page as filler really.

one thing i can say is, there is NO WAY i'm ever sending any pics to anyone but customers.

i do remember chris having issues with this picture once before. what a pain.

Discussion starter · #33 ·
Right on Pete, I couldn't agree with you more on this one!!!

You must sell yourself on your product /service first meaning you must believe in it and know it's worth more than you are selling it for before attempting to sell it to someone

Okay, Just my name and phone number, with a pic of Chris's upcoming bridge job on the front.
wow....cold blooded (in my best rick james voice).

dont know about boycotting them, but it's pretty lame they sent a pic saying it was okay to use so i could depict representations of what i can do.

i never claimed it to be my work, and it isn't in my portfolio section, just in some little pics on the main page as filler really.

one thing i can say is, there is NO WAY i'm ever sending any pics to anyone but customers.

i do remember chris having issues with this picture once before. what a pain.
You sound like an honest guy who was wronged almost as bad as Chris was. I say a boycott is in order. Thanks for your support Tim.

Discussion starter · #37 ·
You know, This brings up the topic of posting photos on this site and having others copy and use them. Personally I don't care as long as it doesn't effect me in my area of influence. But then again it probably would be a good idea to watermark all photos with your logo when posting just to be safe. It is a public forum after all.

You know, This brings up the topic of posting photos on this site and having others copy and use them. Personally I don't care as long as it doesn't effect me in my area of influence. But then again it probably would be a good idea to watermark all photos with your logo when posting just to be safe. It is a public forum after all.
this is one of the reasons i previously did not post my website on here...because i dont want someone taking my photos (that are explicitly labeled as being mine, and not represented as public domain).

21 - 40 of 67 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.