Winter storage

THIESSENS TLC

LawnSite Bronze Member
Just wondering who stores their equipment in a heated shop, or cold shop, garage, etc. And do you start your equipment occasionally throughout the winter? If so, how long do you let it run for? Is it bad to start it up when its minus 20-30 out! just a few questions and wondering what everybody does and how! Thanks :)

bobcat48

LawnSite Gold Member
I keep equipment in the garage all season long,and winter ill sometimes start it if not gas is drained,spark is pulled and seafoam is used for the mowers and such.

OP
THIESSENS TLC

THIESSENS TLC

LawnSite Bronze Member
How come you take the plug out? And what is seafoam?
Posted via Mobile Device

mowerbrad

LawnSite Fanatic
For now, my equipment is stored in a shed, not heated. I do try to go out and start the mowers a couple times during the winter and let them run for a little bit (20-30 minutes), let them get nice and warm and run the oil through the system a little bit.

I've used seafoam, stabil and star-tron for stabilizers. Currently I've been using stabil and star-tron. I've tried seafoam (just a fuel additive that also helps to stabilize fuel for storage).

Ducke

LawnSite Senior Member
I store all my gear in an unheated shed.
I drain all the gas and then run the machines dry.
been doing this way for years with out any problems.

LindblomRJ

LawnSite Silver Member
I store all my gear in an unheated shed.
I drain all the gas and then run the machines dry.
been doing this way for years with out any problems.
That is what I do. Start out next spring with fresh gas. No issues.

I use seafoam to help clear up a rough running engine. I am not a fan of stabil.

OP
THIESSENS TLC

THIESSENS TLC

LawnSite Bronze Member
I've always used stabil in my equipment, dirt bikes, & outboard engine, never had a problem. Just make sure the place you store your equipment is dry, otherwise there is a chance of getting condensation in the tank.
Posted via Mobile Device

OP
THIESSENS TLC

THIESSENS TLC

LawnSite Bronze Member
I've always used stabil in my equipment, dirt bikes, & outboard engine, never had a problem. Just make sure the place you store your equipment is dry, otherwise there is a chance of getting condensation in the tank.
Posted via Mobile Device