• PPP The Second Time Around
    The Emergency Coronavirus Relief Act of 2020 passed in December contained $284 billion for the renewed Paycheck Protection Program (PPP). Click here to read the article.

Winterize your tanks

cenlo

LawnSite Senior Member
How do you guys winterize at the end of the season? .......Anti-freeze or.................................??????????????????

Jason Rose

LawnSite Fanatic
I was just thinking about this yesterday... how topical.

I have owned my lesco tank sprayer for 5 years and have never used antifreeze of any kind in it for winter storage. I have just been hooking up my air compressor to the hose and blowing the hose, and in turn the pump out thru the drain plug. I make sure the ball valve is OFF to the agitator nozzle in the tank while blowing out. Once all the water is out I OPEN all the valves and leave the drain cap OFF just incase any water is left it won't get trapped by a valve, or in a valve, and split it.

SO FAR I have not had any problems doing it this way, It sits in a non insulated storage unit all winter.

Is it too much of a risk to do it this way? I know the manual says to use antifreeze, but unless I'd use about 5 gallons in the tank I can't get the pump to prime dry and suck it into the lines. I would only use the RV stuff, but still don't know exactly where I'd "dispose" of it come spring.

Grassmechanic

LawnSite Silver Member
Jason Rose said:
I was just thinking about this yesterday... how topical.

I have owned my lesco tank sprayer for 5 years and have never used antifreeze of any kind in it for winter storage. I have just been hooking up my air compressor to the hose and blowing the hose, and in turn the pump out thru the drain plug. I make sure the ball valve is OFF to the agitator nozzle in the tank while blowing out. Once all the water is out I OPEN all the valves and leave the drain cap OFF just incase any water is left it won't get trapped by a valve, or in a valve, and split it.

SO FAR I have not had any problems doing it this way, It sits in a non insulated storage unit all winter.

Is it too much of a risk to do it this way? I know the manual says to use antifreeze, but unless I'd use about 5 gallons in the tank I can't get the pump to prime dry and suck it into the lines. I would only use the RV stuff, but still don't know exactly where I'd "dispose" of it come spring.
I've done it basically the same way as you, Jason, for over 20 years without ever a problem. I never use any type of anti freeze.

walker-talker

LawnSite Platinum Member
I use a 50/50 mix of antifreeze and water. About 2.5 gallons of each. In the spring I punp it back into containers and save it for next season. I have done this the last 3 years.

TOMMY1115

LawnSite Member
The important thing is to get the water out of the lines so you don't crack anything on the pump, or to put anti-freeze in there so the water doesn't freeze. Either way is good as long as nothing freezes!!!!!!