Winterizing an above ground system???

Discussion in 'Winterizing' started by cold-beer, Aug 29, 2019.

1. cold-beer

cold-beer LawnSite Member

I recently took on a new lawn care account, and they have an above ground 2 zone system with a timer connected straight to the faucet that came with the house they just moved into. The heads are just your typical above ground brass impact heads. The lines that feed them are Rain bird UV-resistant tubing I believe. The system also has a few 180 degree micro heads fed by what I believe is 1/4" line in the their flower bed. I'm not an irrigation guy obviously, but I told the customers that I would either winterize the the system or have it winterized if it needed it.

Does a generic above ground system like this need to be winterized? It looks like this was a kit of some sort.

Last edited: Aug 29, 2019
  2. rlitman

rlitman LawnSite Silver Member

If you want it to work the next year, and if you live in an area that freezes, then yes, it does.

hort101 likes this.
  3. OP
    OP
    cold-beer

So I guess my next question would be, what's the easiest way to winterize a system like this? I have a sprinkler guy that does a bunch of my accounts, but do I really need him on something like this? Can I just use my little contractors compressor or something? The longest run is probably 25 feet.

4. That Guy Gary

That Guy Gary LawnSite Gold Member

Is the tubing flexible? If the runs are short it sounds like it'd be easy to drain it by hand like you would a hose.

5. OP
    OP
    cold-beer

It's sorta flexible but it's got stakes that hold it to the ground and micro heads connected to the runs.

That Guy Gary likes this.
  6. magna111

magna111 LawnSite Senior Member
    from NJ

An above ground system is going to be much more vulnerable to freeze damage than and in ground system. If you’re talking about a pancake compressor that you’d use for nail guns, that’s not going to do a good job, and to do a mediocre job will take you forever.