Lawn Care Forum banner

Wire jacket stripping tools

6K views 22 replies 9 participants last post by  1idejim 
#1 ·
I'm trying to find the best way to remove the jacket on multistrand 22ga without damaging the wire. See several tools that spin the jacket off of coaxial but I need to go further down the cable then strip up to remove the jacket without damaging the wire. Looking at the JONARD CST-1900

#2 ·
The Jonard tool looks like something I remember from back a few years. Once the Irrigation cables included a string to help peel off the outer jacket, I no longer needed anything like that specialty tool.

By the way, how far from the cable end do you need to strip the jacket? If this was for production work on, say, pigtails, there are motorized insulation strippers that might be just the thing.

#7 ·
#13 ·
#15 ·
Stripping large amounts of copper... Central Montana... "Time will tell..."

Better alert Homeland Security.
I'm am irrigatorist not an anarchist.

I'm trying to come up with the next generation of low cost pigtails to expand further to the masses of huddled all wet Americans.

Unfortunately for me that means MADE IN CHINA. Since I don't trust those marxist weasley b@sT@rds I need to come up with my own quality control.

So far I've already found three wiring errors in a bundle of 10. If They don't improve to 1 in a 100 (even that is way too many in my book) I'm scrapping the whole idea. Right now I depend on people that make cables for American Fighter jets among many other things like telecom stuff. I'm learning that 4-5 dollars in every pigtail is quality control.

#16 ·
Nifty little tool. Would have made a great tool for removing multistrand outer jackets doing repairs. once you get the blade set it makes a clean cut and then you turn the handle to slide a cut up the jacket then another clean cut and the jacket comes off. Not great pics but the second is a comparison between the clean cut and using a cheap coaxial prep tool I got from radio shack.

Eyewear Vision care Bicycle handlebar Bumper Gadget

Electrical wiring Networking cables Cable Gas Electrical supply

Electrical wiring Gas Cable Technology Wood

#17 ·
Nifty little tool. Would have made a great tool for removing multistrand outer jackets doing repairs. once you get the blade set it makes a clean cut and then you turn the handle to slide a cut up the jacket then another clean cut and the jacket comes off. Not great pics but the second is a comparison between the clean cut and using a cheap coaxial prep tool I got from radio shack.
That IS a nifty little tool. Watched the video on thier website. I think I need one now.

#20 ·
#21 ·
It looks identical. Works great. Just need to set it at the minimum to begin with....once you get the cut the cable jacket will tear very smooth. It will make for some clean quick controller wire ups. Definitely better than that pull string. How long that blade stays sharp is another matter. If you don't have room to do the circle in the ditch it will do a nice length ways cut to give you some slack to pull the multis out.

#22 ·
What I'm trying to do by the way is make a 6 station pigtail really cheap. So cheap even Eddie will buy it. Like around 6 bucks. (in batches...amounts to be determined) Only problem is I had them send me the pin to wire color specs and they aren't doing it consistently. I don't mind having a new set of colors I just need them to always be the same. If I can get that issue solved I may offer a free RM UA with a purchase of a thousand. And a free Jonard cable stripper.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.