1. Free Webinar: Why the Growth of Propane Deserves Your Attention
    Date: Thursday, April 25th
    Time: 11:00am EST
    Find out how switching to propane can save your company time and money. Click here to register
    Dismiss Notice

Wiring help

Discussion in 'Pesticide & Herbicide Application' started by woodlawnservice, Feb 14, 2019.

1. woodlawnservice

woodlawnservice LawnSite Bronze Member

On my ride on sprayer setups I built (2) I've had them for 1.5 seasons now. I love them, the functionality of them and dependability except for 1 thing. The wiring!. More specifically the waterproofing of the wiring and corrosion taking effect of the switches, connectors etc.. for the guys with ride ins, how is the wiring waterproofed per say? I've tried waterproof splices , butt connectors etc, wrapped them.and double wrapped them with heat shrink and I still get corrosion. Within months!, so I've been having to change my switches about 3x per season and wiring 2x... I've got to fix this as this is the only spot my system lacks.. I need better switches etc.. help, I'm tied of fighting this. 20180210_162548.jpg 20180207_191953.jpg

20180207_192013.jpg

2. Delmarva Keith

Delmarva Keith LawnSite Senior Member

My first thought is use a marine grade switch panel mounted on a waterproof IP66 or IP67 rated enclosure. Make all splices inside IP67 rated enclosures and make sure all wire entries are sealed. You can get the switch panels and enclosures on Amazon, not very expensive. A small IP67 rated enclosure is about 10 bucks and the marine switch panels are around 30 bucks.

3. OP
    OP
    woodlawnservice

I'm using marine switches now (China ones) but they dont last long.. they are cheap so I just swap one out and throw away but uts the inconvenience and it always happens in the field!

4. dieselss

dieselss LawnSite Silver Member
    from NWI....

If your heat shrinking them, then heat shrinking the butt splice and still getting corroded connections.....either
    A) your doing something wrong.
    B) subpar connections.

You said your using China switches, maybe theres a start.
    Why not take a pic of the switches and connections instead and post them up

5. OP
    OP
    woodlawnservice

Heres the switch

Screenshot_20190214-085953_eBay.jpg

6. RigglePLC

RigglePLC LawnSite Fanatic

Try keeping the wires, connections and switches up high and dry. Never let any copper see the light of day or be exposed to any fertilizer. Cover butt connectors with hot glue or silicone irrigation sealer.

woodlawnservice likes this.
  7. OP
    OP
    woodlawnservice

Part of it, is I wash my.machine alot.. so they r exposed to water just to keep clean... I do try to run and minimize exposure as much as possible.. I belive I may be doing my heat shrink not correctly as in leaving the end going into the female splice expose a tad...

8. Delmarva Keith

Delmarva Keith LawnSite Senior Member

The backs of those switches aren’t sealed. Buy a premade marine panel (preferably not from unbranded China candy mountain) with the switches already sealed at the panel and mount the panel in an IP66 or IP67 box (obviously seal the edges of the panel to the box and seal all wire entries). Ii you’re having trouble making a liquid tight splice, like I said before, all splices in IP67 boxes. It should last longer than a lifetime.

woodlawnservice likes this.
  9. OP
    OP
    woodlawnservice

Correct that's where the water corrodes the guts in those switches.. I'll give it a try

Delmarva Keith likes this.
  10. RigglePLC

RigglePLC LawnSite Fanatic

Also--try to avoid all wiring connections. They get water inside. Avoid butt connections. Avoid T connections. Even if it takes more insulated wire--try to bring each circuit back to the battery positive post.
    And no thin wire--you get better power with heavy gauge wire. You need 12 volts--not 11.
    Again, coat any necessary connections with silicone sealer, or hot glue.

Delmarva Keith and dieselss like this.