• Thankful For Your Family…. Business?
    Landscaping businesses are often family endeavors. While this can combine the best of both worlds (personal and professional), it isn’t always smooth sailing. Click here to read more.

Wish I had Money

ajo771

LawnSite Member
WOW! Lots of good deals this year. Bed edgers, backpack misters, mini skid steers, core aerators, spreader/sprayers, overseeders, everything I want.

I was lucky to keep my job, but at a 1/2 of what I use to make. The wife had to go back to work for the first time in 18 years since we started having kids.

Maybe I'll go back to landscape maintenance on the weekends to fund my gardening habit.

ponyboy

LawnSite Bronze Member
Great another wanna be not legally lco just what all of us want
Posted via Mobile Device

OP
A

ajo771

LawnSite Member
What a jerk.

I have a degree in landscape architecture and had owned a landscaping business for 10 years before I started building roads and bridges. I still maintain my applicators license for turf and ornamentals + waterways. I got away from it because after doing it for others all day I didn't want to come home and do it for myself. My property is nicer than any of the "professionally" maintained properties in my neighborhood. I've forgotten more about horticulture than most "professionals" will ever know.

Don't misunderstand me, I am taking nothing away from the true professional. It's the people who buy a mower and have no knowledge of horticulture, botany, or entomology; throw a name on the side of a pick-up or in the local paper and buy some t-shirts and their professional. Right!

Horticulture has been a big part of my life since I worked on my grampas farm as a boy.

So Ponyboy, where is your horticulture degree from?

ponyboy

LawnSite Bronze Member
Then I'm sorry I did not know all thar I have my pest licsen and have been in busines since 1986 I thought you were just going to buy a machine and cut lawns for free I'm wrong and sorryp
Posted via Mobile Device

ponyboy

LawnSite Bronze Member
Sorry no degree just been this business my whole life and worked at one of the east cost leading nursey for several years while in school for knowledge
Posted via Mobile Device

OP
A

ajo771

LawnSite Member
And as part of my current job I install from 1-5 million dollars in landscaping annually.

I'm a certified netafim installer, paver and wall installer, licensed applicator, and maintain all my OSHA and MSHA certifications. I'm a licensed "competent person". As part of my job I run the company recycle division and produce and sell landscape products such as brick and granite chips, landscape cobbles, as well as granite curbing, topsoil (state blends A & B - refers to organic content), and sub base materials for patios, walkways, driveways and roads. All from recycled aggregate based materials.

And last year I was a judge at the Buffalo Garden Walk flower show.

OP
A

ajo771

LawnSite Member
Thanks for the Apology.

I probably got my dander up pretty quick today. I've just been off since the added work, reduced pay thing at work.

We have got to be close in age. I owned Gardenview Landscapes from 1988-1998.

Sorry I was so defensive.

punt66

LawnSite Fanatic
And as part of my current job I install from 1-5 million dollars in landscaping annually.

I'm a certified netafim installer, paver and wall installer, licensed applicator, and maintain all my OSHA and MSHA certifications. I'm a licensed "competent person". As part of my job I run the company recycle division and produce and sell landscape products such as brick and granite chips, landscape cobbles, as well as granite curbing, topsoil (state blends A & B - refers to organic content), and sub base materials for patios, walkways, driveways and roads. All from recycled aggregate based materials.

And last year I was a judge at the Buffalo Garden Walk flower show.
and now you make half as much and almost lost your job. OK.

QualityLawnCare4u

LawnSite Gold Member
Yes, isn't that the way it always goes! When there are good deals our pockets are always low. Only bad thing about it a lot of all these good deals are out there is because other folks hit hard times also. My wife had to take a pay cut, our local taxes shot up big time along with gas, food, lights and I took a big hit right at the end of the summer. I have a feeling we will be seeing a LOT of deals this upcoming year.

And a good lesson to us all is not to be quick to judge anyone as whether they are a legit top notch lco or a fly by night lco, we all started somewhere. some make it, a lot don't! What will I be this year!